Looking for Wapta Traverse shuttle

nji

we're doing the wapta traverse, starting march 7 entering via peyto lake (off icefields parkway). looking for a shuttle to the trailhead (from lake louise or sherbrooke lake exit off trans canada hwy). we're willing to pay...

cheers

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitch hiking is quite viable. Just leave everyone but the drivers at the motel restaurant, and the drivers hitch. Usually two lifts - one to the intersection with the Icefields Pkwy, then another up to Peyto, with the second of these usually being more difficult, but not impossible. Try not to get out too late and you should have no problem. Oh, and bring down jackets - waiting for a ride at the Icefields Pkwy ramp gets cold!!

I've done some summer time hitch hiking from Lake Louise to the Icefields Parkway. I had a bunch of climbing gear with me. It took a bit, but I managed to get a ride.

I'd agree that lightening your load first will stack the odds in your favor. Drop folks and gear at Peyto Lake then drive back and park near Lake Louise or somewhere convenient where you won't get towed. Then hitch back to the group.

Of course there are no guarantees on quick rides.

Of course there are no guarantees on quick rides.

All good advice so far. June of 2004 I had to get my butt from Banff to Lake Louise, on a Saturday. I could've taken a Greyhound, but didn't want to wait the 3 hours before its scheduled Banff pick-up, figuring that hitching a ride in a national park on a busy weekend day would be no problem. Lots of friendly Canadians and visitors. I made a decent sign, and stood in an appropriate spot. After an hour, it began to rain steady. After two hours, mild-mannered me saluted a certain passing driver who was a little more outgoing than necessary. After contemplating saluting more, and immediately after the Greyhound bus roared on by, I called for a taxi.

On that note, as an option, you could check the bus schedules and have the driver pull off for you at Peyto Lk.