BC Coast Range Beta?

briannabanana

By the way it's "Coast Mountains". The "Coast Range" is in Oregon.

Izzat so?

Don Munday's book is fairly littered with references to the Coast Range. I don't think he was in Oregon.

http://ilmbwww.gov.bc.ca/bcgn-bin/bcg10?name=21188

Coast Mountains is the older name and has precedence, to match the Columbia Mountains and Rocky Mountains.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from your link:

"Also called Coast Range. So-named because of their proximity parallel to the sea coast. They extend through the province from Fraser River to Alaska and are a continuation of the Coast Range in the United States, where the name originated - probably with the early settlers. The highest peak in the BC portion of the mountain range is Mount Waddington - 13,260 ft.

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions"

Yes, but not an official name - obsolete in fact under the naming heirarchy adopted in the 1960's and formalized in S. Holland's 1976 physiographic work.

Cordillera - all the mountains

Mountains - groups of ranges

Ranges - groups of individual named ranges

Range - group of individual summits

Mountain or peak - individual summit.

So: Mount Waddington in the Waddington Range in the Pacific Ranges of the Coast Mountains of the Cordillera. That's the way the Canadian system works.

• 5 months later...
That'd be an awesome ride! I found my beta.... in the 1938 CAJ. Did you know that the Seattle Public Library has a darn near complete set of AAJ and CAJ's!? That was news to me, but MEGA handy. Also, non-members are allowed to use the Mountaineer's Library in Magnuson Park. It's been a pretty redonkulous beta quest, but I was successful. Desire Mountain is NW of the Monarch Icefield, so access ends up being a little different. I've applied for a couple AAC grants to cover a helo drop off and pick up. We'll see!! Wish me luck!

So whatever happened with Desire this summer Brianna? Especially considering half of Bella Coola was in flames over the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

So whatever happened with Desire this summer Brianna? Especially considering half of Bella Coola was in flames over the summer.

i hear the east ridge got climbed - very fine looking line. check out this scurlock photo:

http://www.pbase.com/nolock/image/77323931

east ridge facing camera. peak is only 2606m (8550 ft) - hard to believe, with all that glaciation, eh?

good going...

cheers,

• 3 months later...