Bolivia

mneagle

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to Bolivia for the month of May. We'd like to find 1 or 2 more people to tie in with. I'd anticipate mostly trade routes, but I'll probably bring some tools along, just in case conditions are good and I can convince Jill she is as good a climber as she actually is. I've climbed there twice before, spending a lot of time around Condoriri (my last trip-report: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000642). I'd like to get up Illimani and then go up to Sorata and check out Illampu and Ancohuma. If access is feasable I'd think about venturing into some of the more remote places as well. If anyone is interested in joining us for some or all of the month, send me an e-mail at: mneagle@u.washington.edu

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know what you mean about still looking. I've been planning a trip to Bolivia for about a year & was getting some good responses prior to Sept. From then on out It's been very slow. In-fact about a month ago, I was thinking of cancelling the trip. Now all of a sudden, I seem to have enough people for a strong team. We'll be going the last 3-weeks of July. By the way, I enjoyed reading your post, long winded, but had some good info. If I have any questions concerning Bolivia, would you mind if I shot them your way? Adios! Elwood

I went to Bolivia in 1995. I stayed in La Paz for several days. As I recall the Lonely Planet guide to Bolivia had all the information you would ever need to find cheap eats and sleeps. As far as climbing, we did not climb but I did check out quite a few of the mountainering stores. I would recommend not trying to buy any climbing gear or your high altitude food in Bolivia. Bring it all with you.

Well, I'm still looking for partners if anybody is interested. Please pass it around to your friends. I can't believe it's this hard to drum up a few climbers for some of the best alpine climbing around. We've only gotten a few replies and all of them from couples, which leads me to wonder whether people are scared away by the thought of climbing with a couple. We're not looking for a double date or partners to swing with, we're looking for climbing partners. I'd worry more whether you could keep up with Jill, sje's a real bad ass. So let's go climb.

Also, we'll be trekking in Chile for the month of April. We're planning on doing the Torres del Paine circuit and wondering if anybody has any advice on side trips or getting back and forth to and from the park. Is the boat trip worth the extra time and is it reliable?

quote:

Originally posted by mneagle:

Well, I'm still looking for partners if anybody is interested.

dude, you only need one partner. Why the plural?

Personally, I'd love to go to Bolivia, and have lusted over Brain's guide for years. But planning has never been my forte, and the future is uncertain.

After having gone on a trip to the same area, I would encourage anyone thinking of going along to come with a partner. Being a couple on vacation usually means that if one couple/partner doesn't want to do something, the other doesn't either.

So unless the single climber doesn't mind soloing peaks (while travelling over modest glaciers), they will be able to accomplish more with a similarly inclined parter (who you ideally have climbed with before).

It isn't that there are necessarily problems with having that additional person be single, but after having been that person, I can see benefits to having your own climbing partner.