Western Mountaineering Parka

spotly

I'm looking to pick up a lighter weight parka than the one I have now. The Vapor looks like it's got the same features I'm used to but at only 16 ounces. Anyone familiar with this one? I'd prefer a removable hood but I can always compensate for that. Any better options in an ubber-light (yet comfy warm) down? I prefer a little more puffy than not but if it's too extreme, I wouldnt be out anyway - at least not on purpose anyway. I have a Montbell inner parka that I use to supplement with when it gets too cold. I'm not interested in synthetics. Thanks

Edited by spotly

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a WM Vapor that I purchased to replace a MH Phantom. I am much happier as the jacket is warmer and the Windstopper shell fabric has proven very durable in rock/vegetation abrasive environments (where the Phantom proved to be a liability after several large tears and subsequent repairs). My only gripe is that the Vapor only has two hand pockets, it would be nice if it had an interior 'Napoleon' pocket. The Vapor was also offered as a parka style for awhile, but the hood wasn't removable. One of my partners from the East Coast has the parka version and is quite satisfied. Believe only the jacket version is currently being produced. I would purchase Vapor again without hesitation, and I suspect it has the most durable shell fabric in the sub-1 lb. down jacket category.

Edited by 96avs01