going to the cody ice festival?

genepires

Looking for a ride to the cody ice festival which is in late febuary, presidents day weekend I believe. Something like feb. 15-19. Will split expenses of course. Will be meeting friends there but will also climb with whoever needs partners. Reply soon.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: genepires ]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless a LOT has changed in the past two weeks, the conditions in the south fork are not to be raved about. broken hearts did not appear to be in completely, although the top pitches looked good. i went there in the middle of december 00 (last season) and found better conditions then i found two weeks ago. if anyone else is curious and doesnt already know this, you can call "the beta coffeehouse" in cody for up-to-date conditions reports.

whatever...basically what i am saying is that if i lived in seattle, id go to the canadian rockies and save cody for when it is actually cody. really, there wasnt even any snow on the ground! NONE! and just a trace under bushes and such on north aspects. erik and lambone, i wouldnt tell you what conditions are in your backyard, so maybe you should listen to "clod".

clod

437.7 miles from your house is hardly your backyard, unless you are ted turner.....

what i am saying and i figure you probably know this, but ice changes pretty darn fast.....and two weeks ago is along time.....

so gene good luck on finding someone to ride with...and i guess you dont have to worry about climbing with clod....

Todd,

the snowfall in the South Fork has always been low since it's in a rain shadow; that's one of the appeals of climbing there since postholing to a climb ain't generally a problem.

Cody's Annual Average Rainfall: 9.4", Snowfall: 35.20"

But I do take your mid-December observations to heart, and don't doubt that it could have been better.

BTW, on road trips, the ice-climbing seems ancillary at times to all the other fun possible.

Thanks for the opinion on conditions there but the tickets are bought and reservations made so we will have to see what we can do there. In the over used wording of our day "god bless cody and let us pray for cold" At least I'll be with good friends and lots of free beer at the festival. yum-yum.

Dude you'll have a blast! Don't miss the drive through liqour stores!

Some fat classics that are not to be missed:Bozo's Revenge 3ish, pretty mellowDuck Soup- another of the sameMiami Ice- short but much steeperHorstail Falls 5 sweet pillarMoonrise + High on Boulder Bottom is big, fat and fun-top can be a sick pillarMeen Grean- long, bottom pitches come and go, but top should be inLook for The Moratorium- its obvious, but bottom may not be in.

Those are the first that come to mind and should fill up a weekend nicely.

This guy todd doesn't know what he's talking about, the presence of snow or no snow will only affect the freeze thaw climbs, and generaly says nothing about the overal conditions. It's allways dry there (wind slabs can still form up high though, something to watch for). Three of my bro's from Bozeman were there this weekend and had a great time, they did some 2s,3s, and 5s mostly on the north facing side.

Go make us Seattalites proud! Most of the Ice Fest Folks will be from 'Rado, Iowa, Jackson, or Montana. Routes could be crowded, but its a fun scene! Peace, have fun.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

Sheeeit-

Gotta get my 2 cents in there. Also do not miss "Too Cold Too Fire" - one of the most unique ice climbs anywhere - Clod got da aidz in hiz brane and his lungz gonna splode. Sheeit. Cody had 293 named climbs form up last year and probably that many right now. Aaron at WWW.ColdFear.Com will give you the skinny on the conditions- just call him. I think that Clod is trying to keep the place quiet. Last year on Superbowl weekend- My budz and me had all 293 climbs to ourselves.