[TR] - NY Gully - Beware of Ice 2/15/2009

wayne

Trip: - NY Gully - Beware of Ice

Date: 2/15/2009

Trip Report:

My second foray to the North side of Snoqualamie Mountain (first) again showed how it is precariously coated with Ice. We found conditions to be both icy and slippery. We decided to try and make these routes a bit safer by using special tools to chip away some of the collections of this dangerous sheen. We found a large ice streak flowing down the normally dry New York Gully route . We did a new direct start to the route, removing some of its thin coating. The rest of the "Mixed Climb" was a mixture of snice and water ice, the most dangerous kind. Be careful if you find yourself up there. We saw Alpine Dave and friend-Dan up there taking care of the other frozen streak to the left. Markos camera may reveal this insidiousness soon

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone climbs this direct (left) start to the NY gulley, there is a #1 camalot there, left by myself and partner (Sol). IT should be bootyable. If you want to return it, that would be rad. If not, it should be fine to climb on, might need a new sling. It is located a couple rappels below the dead snag belay, detritus of a failed early-season attempt. IF climbing the normal start you really wont be close to it.

Edited by Blake

"Friend" = me :wazup:

Alpine Dave and I succeeded on Pineapple Express (trip report forthcoming), and heard you guys shouting over there. We were not quite fast enough to catch you, though we did see your pee stain next to that silly spectra-slung stone below the "A1" :rolleyes: step. Thanks for cleaning the ice off that by the way. :grin:

Dan

You guys are killing me102.gif Buddies in for the weekend and I tell them the approach to Snoqualmie is terrible! You dudes running in and out all weekend while we wade hip deep a mile away for a couple of lousy pitches 30.gif

Nice work 113.gifand looking forward to the TRs.

Anyone want to run in there this week?

Blake,

I think your cam and sling were maybe more like 40 or 50ft below the traverse pitch. I'm guessing it was a bare slab when you guys were up there? We got lucky and found thin neve and alpine ice.

A few pics finally--

The start is the 2nd ice corner from the left:

IMG_1864.jpg

The start of the 1st pitch:

IMG_1866.jpg

Looking up the 1st pitch:

IMG_1868.jpg

The start of the 3rd pitch:

IMG_1874.jpg

3rd pitch:

IMG_1875.jpg

More 3rd pitch: