1900% beer tax proposed for Oregon OMG!

billcoe

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$0.20/pint doesn't sound like too much.

As long as you're so fine with it, you can pay for folks like Pink and me, who don't want to pay it. Why they don't hit it on the income tax, where people actually pay based more if they make more, VS, regressively hitting a poor person who just enjoys a good pint, is total bullshit it seems to me.

Send your contact info over and I'll figure out how many pints I'll be drinking and you can send a check. Pink and I thank you in advance for your largess.

time to start growing your own!

Suggestion: Corporate Tax Reform.

Second that; in spite of a stated federal corporate tax rate of about 33%, most corporations, nationwide, pay little or no actual taxes due to write-offs, loopholes in the tax codes, tax breaks on the state or local level to attract business, etc. In Oregon, giants such as Nike, Intel, Tektronix,etc. have for years paid the minimum of $10.00 (yes, that's just TEN dollars, the decimal's in the right place) per year. If corporations would, or could be made, somehow, to pay their fair share of federal, state and municipal taxes, the state would have the funds for essential services, maintenance and infrastructure, Oregon health plan, etc. Not to mention schools and higher educ., adequate numbers of State Troopers, cleanup of environmental problems. National infrastructure, rail lines, highways and bridges,health care, proper care for veterans, mental health, Superfund toxic waste sites, the National parks and Forest Service recreation and trails( a big issue for those of us on this site)could all be fully funded. The cities could confront and manage the challenges of homelessness,gangs and drug trafficking,the list goes on and on.

Not that I have any illusions or delusions about that happening anytime soon. There is a flip side, in that charitable donations are largely tax deductible, thus the existence of large corporate foundations for everything from education to cancer research to Public Broadcasting. Nonetheless, these kinds of funds never reach the problems and people in desperate need outside of such channels. Only the states and cities themselves are able to know where and for what items funds are needed.

So, because the corporations and the super rich amass more and more wealth,while slashing jobs and cutting wages, us little people wind having to pay more for the basic needs and simple joys of life such as trails to hike on, decent schools to send our kids to, reasonable safety and security in our towns, and a few bottles of reasonably priced brew waiting in the creek at the end of the climb.

Cheers! :anger::noway::poke::rolleyes::provoke::fahq::cry::mad::(

Take a look at California. Despite being a high tax state, it cannot hide the fact that its spending was not controlled enough to weather a sizable downturn. The state itself has a problem with the entitlement outlook of assumed growth of tax revenues.

When did we as a society begin to look at gov't as the fixer of all things? Is that really the type of relationship we want with gov't?

in spite of a stated federal corporate tax rate of about 33%, most corporations, nationwide, pay little or no actual taxes due to write-offs, loopholes in the tax codes, tax breaks on the state or local level to attract business, etc. In Oregon, giants such as Nike, Intel, Tektronix,etc. have for years paid the minimum of $10.00 (yes, that's just TEN dollars, the decimal's in the right place) per year.

You absolutely have that number wrong in a big way. Those companies are publicly traded and that info can be confirmed with just a few clicks. I wish we were at a bar so I could bet you can get a free buzz on the bet. I only checked one, Nike, and see they paid, $129,000,000 (thats million) dollars in tax last quarter alone. It's only a quick check of and income statment, but those figures are public and publicly audited so I don't doubt they are correct. They are not broken out to specifics, but I'd encourage you to do the research first.

Check it yourself, you are wayyyy wrong on this. http://www.google.com/finance?fstype=ii&q=NYSE:NKE

You might report back to us with the dollar figures that Intel and Tektronix actually did pay. It will be a good opportunity for you to learn and grow. You can get the info here as well: http://sec.edgar-online.com/nike-inc/10-q-quarterly-report/2008/04/04/Section7.aspx

later

Link?

Because per my link, they paid $129,000,000 and change for the quarter in some kind of tax per the income statement. I'd be surprised if that was state and local only, and they then had to pay $10 in federal.

Where does your info come from?

Here's one story: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/02/26/intel-disputes-24-billion-tax-bill

"Intel Corporation announced it was appealing an Internal Revenue Service tax adjustment related to export sales. The company has calculated that its federal income tax for 1999 through 2005 would increase by about $2.2 billion plus interest if it loses its appeal against the IRS. The number one chip maker noted that if it loses the appeal there is a "possibility of a material adverse impact on the results of operations" for the period when the matter is resolved, but added that management does not believe the outcome will affect its financial position, cash flow or results of operations. The IRS would also likely make a similar claim for 2006, potentially increasing Intel's tax due by about $200 million, plus interest. The company mentioned that the IRS formally assessed the adjustment in its regular examination of Intel's tax returns"

You'd think that the story would specifically mention the part about wanting to pay $10.00 bucks instead of the $2,200,000,000.00 extra the IRS is asking for during those years. Does that work out to an extra $300,000,000 PLUS per year? I'VE DONE THE MATH AND HAVE SURMISED THAT $300 MILLION DOLLARS IS MORE THAN $10.

Link?

pink doesn't live in oregon so he won't be paying it anyway. he can just shut the fuck up since the issue doesn't concern him.

as for you, billcoe, i'll send you my contact info so you can come over and kiss my ass.

calm down chief, maybe u should go back to being an indian.....