Adams climb Jan 19-21st

Kevin_Runolfson

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not free Jan 19-20 but am free the following weekend (Jan 26-27) if a change is required. Right now I'm working on putting together a climb of Mt Constance for the last January weekend (see Olympic Peninsula "winter climbing" posts). I'll keep track of posts in case your dates change. I have been up Adams from the North but not the south. A ski or snowboard descent would be nice (no crevasse concerns as long as you stay on the south side). cool.gif" border="0

A few winters ago (actually it was June 1st !) a buddy and I went up the south side. It was another year of exceptionally heavy snow, and even on June 1st, the closest we could get to Climber's Bivouac was about six miles away. We skied up until the real vertical began, and climbed from there.

Suckers we - we didn't pack crampons that day, and had to turn back about 500' below the summit due to high winds and hard glass snow.

Skiing 12 miles round trip plus the climb made for a real long day, but it's doable.

Have fun!

Glad to get the beta from someone who has been there in heavy snow. Constance is still #1 goal for Jan. 26/27, but if snow has been heavy in the week prior, Adams might be safer. The angle of approach from the South looks low enough in photos that avalanche danger should be manageable unless conditions are very bad: steeper than Muir snowfield, but mainly 30 degrees or so. Any other opinions?

The access to the south side is definitely not plowed in the winter. A snowmobile or a really long slog is required. Skis are recommended if you slog. Most of the vertical gain on the approach to treeline is in the last 3 or so miles before Cold Springs. The main reason the approach drive doesn't melt out until late is that it's on heavily forested steep slope.

The South side is relatively safe r.e. avalanche danger as it is low angle and tends to get blasted by the winds coming in from the southwest, though the SE Couloirs can get loaded by the easterlies when there is a high east of the mtns. Good luck and have fun.

Check out the north cleaver for better winter access (and turns). You should be able to park off of state 23 and make a couple mile slog up a forest road (snowmobile winter rec) before heading for treeline. Skis and a rope? I've had luck getting towed by random snowmobilers... smile.gif" border="0

Maurice,

I've been to the Smith Butte snow park many times for cross-country skiing with the family. It is the same one that I referred to as "Bird Creek Meadows Snow Park." If you insist on heading in to the South side in winter, I think that Smith Butte is the obvious starting place.