Need help! BAD foot/ankle problem!!!

archenemy

My right foot is hurting soo much I could cry. It stops me in my tracks. The weird thing is, if I walk on the ball of my foot, it is not so bad. I can actually climb; I just can't walk to the damn thing. The pain is on the outside of the foot and feels like it is centered right below the ball of the ankle. It reaches to underneath the foot right under that same spot.

I think I triggered it when going for a little jog two day ago (I do not run--running is stupid; and apparently, it causes injuries). Yesterday afternoon is when it started to seize up.

I need to know if I should go to a sports massage place, to do some magical stretching tricks, or just to the hospital. I am in Red Rocks right now and have to get this fixed right now so that I don't cry out loud and whine too much.

Please help!

Edited by archenemy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, without taking a few vitals, assessing your general physique, and being an actual doctor, I can't help you much, but I can relate. Not what you're asking, but it may help as far as outlook: I did similar damage to a knee from running. I was overweight (still am, but not as much), had done little jogging earlier in life And I had done this sort of thing to my knee before - I thought I would take it easy on it for a year and I could build back up to it - but no, I was smacked down with considerable pain. Now I don't run at all for aerobics, it's all stairclimber, swimming, cycling, and hiking. So it may just be time for you to heal, and think of other ways of getting in an aerobic workout, at least until this heels and you can find something you may have done wrong, shoes, overuse, etc. Sucks, too, because a quick jog is a great calorie burner and you don't need a gym membership to do it.

But if you have med insurance it would probably be a good idea to go get it x-rayed. And get advice from a podiatrist...

Hope you heal soon. I'm recovering from a hand injury that's taking effing months. Argh.

I doubt that it is a break in your bone and that an x-ray would help because usually stress fractures take months of continuous stress being put on a certain area. Could be plantar fasciaitis... you said the pain is on the underside of your foot and the outside? You could try some stretches with a belt or a inch-wide runner. Sitting down with legs outstretched on the floor, wrap the belt around the ball of your foot and pull belt toward you. Pull until you feel a good stretch. If this doesn't help things i'd see a doctor.

plantar fasciaitis does sound like a possibility along with a sprain or a less-than-obvious break. Nothing particularly dramatic at all has happened in the last few days? No black-and-blue areas? I'm guessing you need to have it looked at if you've tried stretching and walking it off. If that didn't work then probably something wrong and as much of a bummer as it is to hear, you should probably stay off of it and not hike the canyons or climb until you do know what's wrong.

Plantar Fasciitis has a pattern of being worse in the morning and is usually on the inside of the bottom of the heel (medial side), more towards the front where the tissue/muscles attach to the heel. Considering you said it's worse in the afternoon, and on the lateral side, I'd probably rule this out, even though it's very common.

It sounds more like you have a problem with the fat pad on the bottom of your heel. In which case you would be best off to try and find a good insole with a heel cup to try and cushion the bottom of your foot. ICE it after each day of climbing (10 min. on, 10 off, 10 on, 10 off).

Did you fall or twist anything on your run? Then you're thinking something different...Any other symptoms you can think of? Eye infection?

You need to see a good orthopedist, since it sounds like the ankle joint is involved, not just the foot alone. A podiatrist specializes only on the foot, and would probably just send you to an orthopedist.

And BTW, running, done properly, is actually better than jogging. Jogging can cause all sorts of problems due to poor form, the shuffling type of gait, uneven impact on the joints due to the slow speed and lack of momentum/balance. Man has been running for hundreds of thousands of years.

One thing that can help is to have good quality, well-fitted running shoes, designed for the type of training you do, whether on a track, trail running, cross-training, etc. Good shoes can make a huge difference if you have recurring problems.

In the meantime, before you see the orthopedist, ice it. Use a 1 or 2 lb. bag of frozen peas. Ice for 25 to 30 min. at a time, remove the ice and let the area warm to normal temp. on it's own, then repeat 2 or three times. After the first 24 hrs. alternate between heat and ice, ice first. But by all means, see that orthopedist. It would be best if he or she is familiar with or specializes in sports medicine. Best of luck.

Sounds like plantars fasciitis. I am no doctor nor play one on TV. Stop climbing. Do a search on the internet and get a night splint in Vegas. If it is PF a couple days off climbing and a night split will get you back on track quickly ........if you haven't ripped anything. If the splint and advil doesn't give you some relief in a few days go see a doc, GP, Ortho or Podia.

My right foot is hurting soo much I could cry. It stops me in my tracks. The weird thing is, if I walk on the ball of my foot, it is not so bad. I can actually climb; I just can't walk to the damn thing. The pain is on the outside of the foot and feels like it is centered right below the ball of the ankle. It reaches to underneath the foot right under that same spot.

I think I triggered it when going for a little jog two day ago (I do not run--running is stupid; and apparently, it causes injuries). Yesterday afternoon is when it started to seize up.

I need to know if I should go to a sports massage place, to do some magical stretching tricks, or just to the hospital. I am in Red Rocks right now and have to get this fixed right now so that I don't cry out loud and whine too much.

Please help!

I've got similar pain on my left foot, in front of the heel. I've attributed it to plantar fasciitis. I've had it for about a year, but there are times it is worse. Sux getting old...

More for KKK maybe, but I had plantar fasciitis and procrastinated, iced it, blah blah before finally going to the podiatrist. One pair of orthodics later and I was back at it pain free, and been there for 13 years now. I have to wear the orthodics, which I thought sucked at first, but they saved my sorry ass, so now I look at them as a good thing.

More for KKK maybe, but I had plantar fasciitis and procrastinated, iced it, blah blah before finally going to the podiatrist. One pair of orthodics later and I was back at it pain free, and been there for 13 years now. I have to wear the orthodics, which I thought sucked at first, but they saved my sorry ass, so now I look at them as a good thing.

I've been planning to throw superfeet in all my shoes and see if that helps. I assume your orthotics are prescribed/custom-made?

funny thing is on multi-day trips, I really don't have problems. It's the day after a trip, first thing in the morning where I limp around like I've been hobbled a la "Misery".