If You Open Your Mind Too Much...

JayB

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a strictly rational sense, all true.

Although, one exception to the veracity of the lyrics pertaining to homeopathy (as I understand):

"...that solutions made up of infinitely tiny particles of good stuff dissolved repeatedly into relatively huge quantities of water..."

Homeopathic remedies or "provings" are not all "good stuff". In '81, a homeopathic practitioner informed me a treatment for aluminum toxicity incorporated "rattlesnake venom".

Google "homeopathy list of provings" and prepare to be amazed at the substances approved for use in treatments.

Since we're on the subject of homeopathy, I'm reminded of a joke I heard not long ago:

"Did you hear about the guy who OD'd on his homeopathic remedy and died?"

"Seriously!? What happened?"

"He forgot to take it."

DeC:

Not sure what angle that you are coming at this from, but what do you think of homeopaths who sell patients homeopathic remedies for malaria prevention (this actually happened in England a year or two ago)? Even if they sincerely believe that their remedy will work, do you think that this belief is defensible on the basis of the best evidence available to us, and/or that their actions are ethical? What would you think of a pharmaceutical company that sold anti-malarial medications which had the same amount of empirical evidence to support their safety and efficacy?

I wonder what his wife looks like?

In a narrow sense, vaccination works on a similar principle of 'like treating like' so that if you receive an immunization for this year's flu bug then it stimulates your immune system to resist the virus. Of course, to be effective the treatment occurs before the onset of symptoms rather than afterwards.

Damn those comics.

Not sure what angle that you are coming at this from, but what do you think of homeopaths who sell patients homeopathic remedies for malaria prevention (this actually happened in England a year or two ago)? Even if they sincerely believe that their remedy will work, do you think that this belief is defensible on the basis of the best evidence available to us, and/or that their actions are ethical? What would you think of a pharmaceutical company that sold anti-malarial medications which had the same amount of empirical evidence to support their safety and efficacy?

I'm not well-informed with concern to homeopathy, but generally, have considered it a largely harmless pseudo-science akin to the faith-based, crystal, pyramid-hat, etc., healing "arts". I have no qualm from its practice as it is relegated to the nebulous confines of Naturopathy whose proponents and patrons know it is an alternative medicine, therefor, carrying an implicit "buyer beware" sign written in bold type.

The question of "ethics", as in most regards where a product or service is for sale, is of variable determination and usefulness. I doubt there is little difference (or remedy) to be made with regard to automotive repair mechanics.