Black Prophet

aspencir

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scared, thanks for the constructive comments. I took the tool subject to the recall apart again, cleaned off more grime, and found what look like the initials "CB" engraved after the production code 6288 on the inside of the shaft head. So it appears that a previous owner (not the guy I bought it from) shipped the tool back in the day to BD, which tested and returned it.

I never expected to take undue advantage of BD over this recall, I didn't want to try to make money reselling new Vipers on the internet, I just want(ed) to keep both tools if they aren't defective.

Not to worry, I'll talk to Elmo again this wk about the new info and we'll figure something out.

You're looking at the 11/27/96 recall notice; there's another dated 3/7/97 for date codes on any CFBP's w/ date codes under 7009. My bent shaft tool has a 9000 series code, and my straight shaft tool has a 6000 series code. Go to mountaintools.com/techtips for both notices.

Hey no problem glad I could help. Especially as it sounds like the tool was tested. A little Lime-Away might help clean the face a bit more. But if you are seeing a CB by the production code I bet that it is really a CH. Mine was pretty hard to see. I could actually see it better in the rubber gasket.

And no worries - I did not think you were taking advantage of BD at all. I fully understood your dilemma, and felt that both you and BD were trying to do something that would work out best for all interested parties. I actually had something similar happen with a watch that could not be repaired.

Scared, thanks for the constructive comments. I took the tool subject to the recall apart again, cleaned off more grime, and found what look like the initials "CB" engraved after the production code 6288 on the inside of the shaft head. So it appears that a previous owner (not the guy I bought it from) shipped the tool back in the day to BD, which tested and returned it.

I never expected to take undue advantage of BD over this recall, I didn't want to try to make money reselling new Vipers on the internet, I just want(ed) to keep both tools if they aren't defective.

Not to worry, I'll talk to Elmo again this wk about the new info and we'll figure something out.

Edited by ScaredSilly