Amish Hackers

mkporwit

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boss, Amos (not his real name: the Amish prefer not to call attention to themselves)...

But, then:

They love to show off [their] air-punk geekiness.

Reportedly, they use Stone-Age tools:

One clever Amish fellow spent a half hour telling me the igneous way he hacked up a mechanism to make a buggy turn signal automatically turn off when the turn was finished, just as it does in your car.
italics added

I wonder if a bank note is involved:

...a few years ago they installed a massive, $400,000 computer-controlled milling (CNC) machine in his backyard, behind the horse stable. This massive half-million dollar tool is about the dimensions of a delivery truck.

...pertaining to cc.com central:

Ivan is an Amish alpha-geek.

This news story is full of that Caucasian-minority, back-to-the-land, media-unsavvy pre-postmodern antediluvian anteglobalthermocatastrophic ethnic-interest fetishism that the MAN is using to distract you from the real issues of the day. There. I said it.

Recently, Homeland Security uncovered an Amish sleeper cell that was near completion of a pneumatically retrofitted nuclear device.

The thing is, if all y'all would look to the right of the video on youtube, where they have a link and and embed tag, you'd see that on the embed tag it says "embedding disabled by request" -- then you wouldn't have to guess which videos will show up properly and which won't.

The thing is, if all y'all would look to the right of the video on youtube, where they have a link and and embed tag, you'd see that on the embed tag it says "embedding disabled by request" -- then you wouldn't have to guess which videos will show up properly and which won't.

but thinking HURTS brundle-fly :(

Hey, great website.

Reading through the article, I came across the word: steampunk. That term refers to an alternate line of history or a counterculture having a revival of past. I suppose today's counterpart in finance would be a return to 'sound' money that has a basis in gold or other real material (despite its inherent problems).

Another thing is that positive social technological advancement isn't necessarily the addition of computing power or the consumption of energy, it's more about how we use our time so that it's really a reconnection with the true nature of what we are.

I was going to try to integrate this with climbing, for example, the use of leashed ice tools to leashless tools, that it depends on the adage of function over form, but I let it go.