A good friend and climber passed away today...

stiffler

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, Im Dons cousin from the east coast. Sounds like some of you lost a good friend and mentor. I hadnt seen Don or talked to him since 1984. We didnt have forum boards and cell phones back then so we never connected again from East coast to West coast. I do recall like it was yesterday that back then he talked about his philosophy for how he wanted to live. It was based around the outdoors which he had started to experience out in the area around Oregon. Between this forum board and Dons blogspot his sisters set up I see Don lived out his life the way he told me he would way back then. Not every one can attest to that. Sounds like he made some great friends also. Farewell my cousin. Too bad you had to leave so soon. Sorry I never got to know you. May the Lord receive after your final climb.

I didn't know Don so well either, being on the opposite coast made it difficult. I thought I would share some memories.

I remember in the early 90's I decided to take a rock climbing class. I decided to call Don and ask what to expect. He gave me his best advice and left me with this statement..."If your afraid of heights it's even better!" :grin: I made the mistake of forgetting to cut my nails, but really enjoyed it. I later spoke to Don and we had a a lot of laughs about it.

We also had the same job as teenagers. He introduced me to his title a "petroleum transfer technician" . It still makes me laugh. I never knew a gas station attendant could have such a great title. Don will be missed and his humor and memories will live on in all of us.

We also had the same job as teenagers. He introduced me to his title a "petroleum transfer technician" . It still makes me laugh. I never knew a gas station attendant could have such a great title. Don will be missed and his humor and memories will live on in all of us.

OMG thats funny. :lmao: Never heard it before and I'm in my 50s! Thanks for sharing it. Dons funeral was today. Just a matter of time till we join him. All of us. My dad died of a brain tumor when I was 18 months old, you'd think modern science....

...damn..

:wave:

I climbed with Don often during the short time I lived in Portland in 1996-1997. He was then, and remains now, a wonderful memory of the time I spent there. He opened up the true beauty of Smith Rocks for me, and I owe him a debt of gratitude for that simple gift.

I recall reading of his, Marty, and Matt's escapade under Snow Creek Wall in Washington during the fires of 1994. Later when I met him, Don told the story with great relish and great humor.

His memory will remain with me forever, and I will celebrate Don's life on this sad day.

Farewell friend, journey well.

This made me laugh. I remember telling Don and my brother my theory that Oregon was encouraging slackers to continue slacking by maintaining the law that people can't pump their own gas. Basically creating unnecessary brainless jobs. Don gave me "the look" and my brother later told me that Don had worked as a "petroleum transfer technician" at the Bomber Gas Station in Milwaukie. I was friends with Don for over 16 years and will miss him greatly.

I just want to post an apology to Ivan and everyone else on this site for losing it and going off on Ivan in the profane way that I did. Death has been an old aquaintance of my family too many times and I have always taken it in more somber tone. I did not appreciate the joke and went off in a way that I don't normally do.I have always respected this site and am embarrassed that I lost it.I hope that all of you will accept my apology. I have PM'd Ivan and given him a personal apology.Humbly, Jim

I attended Don's services yesterday, and it was a first class affair. I think Don would have been surprised that his passing could fill a church, and I know he would have been overwhelmed by his friend Matt's kind words. I saw many people I hadn't seen in years, and I put some faces with names from stories Don had told.

• 1 year later...