Telemark Skis and Bindings

Erwin

I am a skier turned snowboarder who has great interest in having a better way out of the backcountry flats than taking off my board and having to hike out. Therefore, (with other reasons as well) I am thinking about getting some teli skis.

I don't know much (actually anything) about teli skis and equipment, but have full confidence in enjoying the sport both at resorts and woods.

So if any of you know much about equipment, can you please give some feedback on this. Some guy is selling Salomon Axendo 8 skis (195cm, i'm 6 ft.) with a Voile 20mm riser and Red Chili bindings. They are all in great shape and the package is selling for $175

I have looked around the internet and seen prices for these bindings from $90-145. I can't find any prices for these skis, but have heard good comments on them, especially for tree skiing.

Please let me know what you think of these skis and the deal or any other info you think would help.

Thanks a lot and happy skiing [Wazzup]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The skis, bindings and lifters will work. The Acendo 8 is one of the lighter skis in the series (if you are concerned with weight). Yet I dislike the sidecut of 99-63.5-89. Too much. Too skinny. If you like the deal then go for it. If not, I would buy a fatter ski (Crude buster. This is Washington), be it downhill or tele, with a G3 binding (comes with a lifter and televates) and T1 boots or T2 if you want a boot that is less muscle (these: http://www.barrabes.com/barrabes/dept.asp ) Spend your first several days at the resort then follow the herd above paradise. Then [shrug], wherever you have the desire to go. Good luck.

I agree, the skis are too skinny, both for our conditions and for the fact that you're new to tele'ing. Those are nice bindings though, and I also definitely recommend lifters. Shop around, go into shops and pick their brains to see what ski type/size they recommend, then see what you can find. Check the web, and used gear boards at shops. For 200$ you should have no problem finding a reasonable setup. Definitely learn at the area first, and be prepared to fall. But telemark skiing is spectacular; you can have fun even on a green run with tele skis. And in the powder... tongue.gif" border="0

You know it Eddy!! grin.gif" border="0

But the boards look cool, your going to have to fork out some big bucks for an all new tele set up anyway(boots+bindings+skis+skins), and while you are right that skis would be faster, those split boards seem like they would be a lot faster and easier to use than snowshoe/board combo. Also if you can snowboard but not tele you don't have to learn anything new.

I'm just suggesting options that may not have been considered.

If I snowboarded I would want one!

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: AlpineK ]

hey i just bought the split decison binding from volie,took a jig saw to an old board, epoxied the edges, mounted the bindings and i was off for under $150. as for the flats use your poles and a little technique and you will get close enough. it all sounds a little redneck but it works quite well.

before this i was using 404's and double boots enough said . if you want some tips email me