• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Bob Brett

Need 1 Mt St Helens permit for 8-15-09

I am requesting to purchase 1 Mt St Helens permit for 8-15-09.

I am a Christian with the Hiking Group at the Mountain View Church of the Nazarene in Tumwater. I am hoping to join Paul Hulzebos, Tony Porter and some others on their climb on August 15, 2009.

I sure appreciate your consideration of my request.

Bob Brett, 360-570-2001

Tumwater, WA sickie

You can buy one the day of your hike in Cougar, WA, about 10 miles before the TH. There is a sign for climbers registration and a little kiosk with all the info you could want about the mountain, permits, geology etc. Also, if you are looking for a place to stay (other than the climber's bivvy, try Monfort's B&B, reasonable folks with clean rooms.

I just hiked the mountain yesterday, quite the view into the crater. Not sure how excited I'd be about hiking it in August though. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Thanks Rocky Joe,

I'd like to follow up with you regarding climbing Mt St Helens, soon but I am about to fall asleep on my keyboard. :)

Bob Brett

Thanks again Rocky Joe,

It is great to hear that you had a good climb of Mt St Helens. What is your concern regarding climbing it is the summer... the increased risk of avalanches?

I sure appreciate your "on the ground" tips. I'm going to place a call into the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar to confirm that I can purchase a climbing permit on August 14th, the day before we plan to climb the mountain.

My concern is that on mshinstitute.org it states one must purchase through them and that they are all sold out

I understand that at this time of year no fee is charged for permits. Climbing use is unrestricted. On-line registration is not required yet one must register and pick up their permit at the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar, WA.

In the summer, a permit fee is charged. Climbing use is restricted to 100 permit holders per day. Advance purchase on-line registration is required. Climbers must still pick up their permits at the Lone Fir Resort and must have an emailed confirmation with them.

http://www.mshinstitute.org/climb-the-volcano/climbing-seasons.html

Respectfully yours,

Bob Brett, 360-570-2001

you do have to purchase in advance through the st helens institute april 1-october 31. Keep checking here and try posting occasionally on portland or seattle craigslist also.

I think he was talking about the heat, blowing ash, and hiking through deep ash. Not alot of fun without snow cover. There should be now snow except on the tiny glaciers in august. Usually rock and as the whole way up. I'd take goggles to protect your eyes against the blowing snow!!

Have a great trip!! HOpe you find the permit you are looking for!

Thank you Godkid5, this is a very helpful insight. I will keep checking back here and start posting on Criagslist.

Our Hiking Group at Mountain View Church of the Nazarene are going snowshoeing and cross country skiing next Saturday. You can join us if you like but I don't think it will be anything too strenuous.

Bob Brett

sounds great, but i am having knee issues (again) and am kinda out of any hiking or climbing type of activity right now! Have a great time!

BTW, I used to live in tumwater. Back in High School for about a year, and in Oly before that. Feel kinda nostalgic whenever I drive through there now!

Thanks for the invite!

God Bless

dave

Sign in to follow this