Hostering Ice Tools While Mixed Climbing

layton

What set-ups do y'all like to stash your tool when putting in gear, clipping bolts, etc etc?

Holsters?

Ice Clippers?

Velcro?

Hooked over the shoulder and behind the neck?

I was thinking of breaking the wires off of two ice clippers, and duct taping them somewhere on my upper arm, shoulder or chest.

Thoughts?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have a good explanation or pic of the over the shoulder technique for stashing an ice tool? I'm pretty sure I have the right idea, but since it's a rather sharp object hanging around my neck, I'd like to be certain.

Had to resurrect this topic--was the only usable hit in my google search.

The best description I found about it:

To clip with a leashless tool, just hook the tool across your chest and clip. (See Photo 8-15) Some climbers put Velcro on their shoulders and tools to make it less likely they’ll drop their tools, but if you put the tool across your chest instead of just hanging it down from your shoulder, you’ll find that it rarely or never falls off.

Gadd, Will; Roger Chayer (2009-11-05). Ice & Mixed Climbing: Modern Technique (Mountaineers Outdoor Expert) (Kindle Locations 2612-2616). Mountaineers Books. Kindle Edition.

Here's Photo 8-15:

overtheshoulder.png

On longer rock sections (like a few moves of pure rock in a row), I have done so much "just let 'em dangle on the spring leash" that I got a little too comfortable with the dragging dangle that a tool finally unclipped itself (using the BD leashes with the micro wire gates). I have since switched to the security of the Grivel leashes with the minilockers.

I know, I know... "attach some cord to your spike first to avoid metal on metal and your leashes will never unclip" and/or "lockers freeze." Flame on...

"the BD leashes with the micro wire gates"

Which have been known to and continue to unclip themselves even with the "newest" version. Grivel invented the commercial leash and left spring gates behind long before BD even thought about making their version.

If you want to keep your tools attached there is a reason a non locking biner is a bad idea on a set of leashes.

*cough cough*

Ally's leashes not mine. BD's in fact with the original flat BD biners replaced. His biners connect to a rope loop tied to his Nomics which is a whole lot better than a spring gate biner to a solid tool clip in. Spring gate to solid tool attachemnt will eventually lead to loosing the attachent/tool from my (and everyone I know) experience.

Some freakin cool hammers on those Nomics in Dave Searle's picture though. Be nice if you added the proper photo credit if you are going to snag obviously copy righted material.