[TR] Hyalite Canyon, MT - 1/30/2009

mkporwit

Trip: Hyalite Canyon, MT -

Date: 1/30/2009

Trip Report:

Having been bitten by the Hyalite ice bug back in December, I knew I had to get back out there. Finally managed to do that this past weekend, when five of us headed out for three days of climbing. We drove out there, leaving on Thursday afternoon and returning Sunday night.

Friday afternoon was spent at Genesis I. We put up a couple of top ropes on the left side of the flow as warm up and ran laps the rest of the day. The entire G1 area is thoroughly picked out and you can hook your way to to the top of all of the routes.

IMG_1517.JPG

Shannon leading up G1

IMG_1529.JPG

Dwayne basking in the sun on G1

The next day had us return to G1 to try some of the harder flows to the right. Some people did well, but my lardball ass kept me from getting too far off the ground. In the afternoon we moved to Genesis II, where we ran out the day. With a weather system moving in Saturday was colder and far windier.

IMG_1555.JPG

Me attempting (and eventually failing) to lead G2

On Sunday we headed out to the Amphitheater, where we climbed on Fat Chance. Fat Chance was a very enjoyable line. We had plans to check out Mummy 1 and 2 but never got around to it as we had too much fun here. Mustache Ride looked like there wasn't very much holding the top in place against the rock, and the climbs were all a little wet.

IMG_1582.JPG

(l-r)Fat Chance, Mustache Ride, Thin Chance

IMG_1567.JPG

Henry starting up Fat Chance

Overall, another excellent trip to Hyalite. The ice is fat, the road is plowed, go climb.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic