Black Hawks leave stateside OR Guard

fettster

Saw this in the news this last week:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/black_hawks_leave_their_oregon.html

From the article:

"All 12 of the Oregon Guard's Black Hawk medical evacuation helicopters plus 135 soldiers including pilots, crew chiefs, maintenance and support staff are leaving for a 400-day deployment to Iraq. By Sunday, four pilots and a lone Black Hawk borrowed from Idaho will remain.

For the first time, the entire fleet goes -- and with it the Guard's ability to perform the high-mountain rescues, searches and body recoveries that have come to symbolize its stateside role."

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My stepson is heading out with the Oregon guard. He is captain Micah Goettle of Albany, Or. I believe his outfit is out of Salem.I asked him if he could ask his commanding officer to leave one Blackhawk behind because I am planning on doing a climb of Hood the third week of June need some back-up for my sorry ass if I fall down and go slidey.

I have been reading this climbing site for a year and a half and would like some help with a term that is used by Ivan a lot.I have tried to figure it out through it's context, but I have to ask. IVAN, WHAT THE BLAZING HELL IS A TAUN-TAUN ?? Be nice.

Chinooks are used on Denali; on a trip to Talkeetna in 2003, we saw them practicing on the upper Ruth glacier near Mountain House. Not terribly high altitude (they were doing landings on the patch about halfway up the W. face of the Moose's Tooth), but someone in Talkeetna told us Chinooks have gone to some very respectable elevations in the mid-teens on Denali.

I have tried to figure it out through it's context, but I have to ask. IVAN, WHAT THE BLAZING HELL IS A TAUN-TAUN ?? Be nice.

Star Wars maybe...on Hoth...get in a jam, cut it open crawl inside to say warm...???

never leave the shield wall w/o 'em!

tauntaun.jpg

thats not too cool at all...

I'm good with it, climbers should shun government intervention in rescues.....shuuunnnnn! Climbers need to take care of their own, that's what Portland Mt Rescue trains for. If someone screws up and needs a chopper, they or their insurance can pay for lifeflight from the Timberline parking lot.

If you want the gov't to help you all the time, and for others to HAVE to pay for our own bad choices, then they get to dictate when and where you and I will go. I reject that.

Climbers who want the choppers for free remind me of that Danny Devito character in that Ken Keasey movie, One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest". "I WANT MY CIGARETTES NURSE RATCHET" It's time we grew up and stand on our own 2 feet. Through independence comes freedom. Freedom to climb in the hills as we see fit. WHEN we choose, WHERE we choose. With freedom comes responsibility. And the pain of failing for making a bad choice, or the exhilaration and memories or reaching high and of pulling it out. Let freedom ring boyz.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J74Yj2Dn8M8&feature=related

Godspeed to the boys serving, hope they stay safe during this rotation and all return healthy and happy to their loved ones and the best country on earth soon.

thats not too cool at all...

I'm good with it, climbers should shun government intervention in rescues.....shuuunnnnn! Climbers need to take care of their own, that's what Portland Mt Rescue trains for. If someone screws up and needs a chopper, they or their insurance can pay for lifeflight from the Timberline parking lot.

If you want the gov't to help you all the time, and for others to HAVE to pay for our own bad choices, then they get to dictate when and where you and I will go. I reject that.

Climbers who want the choppers for free remind me of that Danny Devito character in that Ken Keasey movie, One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest".

I couldn't agree with you more .... unfortunately nowadays, the powers-to-be don't take the proper time and judge the risk/benefit ratio when calling in the choppers. They want the incident to be over as soon as possible. Not to mention choppers make good sound-bites and video.

Earn your turns people .. don't expect a free ride. And stop coddling to those that do.

Granted, there are times when they are warranted ... LIFE OR DEATH.

A broken arm, fractured clavicle, concussion, ankle injury, even a suspected spinal injury .. these are not LIFE OR DEATH situations.

Sooner or later another chopper accident will occur.

Okay, enough of that soapbox.

I pay for the blackhawks. I pay for them to sit around. I pay for them to go on practice missions where ever they go when they don't go do hood. Why not use them on hood? I still pay for them.

To depend on them is not good. I agree people need to be self reliant. But if they are needed send the suckers. The national guard is for the nation, not to be sent overseas, hence the "national" in national guard.

Hope and pray for thier safe return.