Gimli NE Buttress Beta Request

spotly

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Interior Ranges of British Columbia 1971 by the AAC and Interior Ranges of British Columbia South 1977 by the AAC and ACC.

The 71 version says

1/2 mile SW of Mulvey Lake.

First recorded ascent 1963 by Mrs. H Butling, R. Deane. M. Stewart, P. Williams.

From camp at head of Robertson Creek. Over col S of Wolfs Ear and down 500' in narrow gully to talus-strewn meadows at head of Bannock Burn. Across 1/2 mi. to base and ridge to top. Though ridge steepens with elevation, no rope required.

I hope that helps. ;)

3251095321_647639b440_b.jpg

Sunlight/shade line in this photo.

Guidebook description:

Northeast Ridge (III, 5.6). Gerry Brown, Frank Tarver, Aug 4 1969. From glacier to NW, traverse onto ridge and climb using the ridge and the ledges and cornerrs of the gully system about 10m west of the ridge. The final section is a 2.5m overhang with good holds, or, easier, traverse left onto the east face. Pitons and hexcentrics were used.

Also if you can track down the 1998 BC Mountaineer there is a funny story involving a bumbling party getting benighted on this route in a thunderstorm.

Thanks G-Spotter! Does the traverse to the base of the route start across the rubbly looking bench midway down and to the left of the glacier or does it start lower down and around the left of the little buttress at the bottom of the ridge?

That's a great looking area! I'm hoping to get in a few climbs in Canada this year - they've been stagnating on my list for too long. Got Bugaboo Spire scheduled and looking at Sir Donald too. Now this comes along and...guess it never ends, which is a good thing :)