Stolen mail order packages

Jens

I mostly buy from local shops but I'll occasionally place mail orders for specialty items that can't be found anywhere in state.

Has anyone else ever had any problems with orders that are placed at your front door being stolen? In my neighborhood the problem has exploded this month. Two of my gear order packages and one package sent to me from relatives has been lifted. Other than packages being shipped to work (annoying and a hassle) are we essentially helpless to stop this kind of theft?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that you can tell ups to deliver to the nearest ups package store, instead of your home. There are big advantages to this. You are guaranteed it is safe, no one can steal it, they are open until 7. So you don't have to stay home to be sure and be there when the package shows up, assuming it needs a signature.

I've not done it, but have been tempted a couple times because otherwise you have to drive down to the main warehouse (like in fife/tacoma) to pick up the package that couldn't be delivered because you weren't there to sign for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if even fed ex could be told to deliver to the ups store, or any packaging store.

I shipped a backpack to a guy in a multi-residence building from ebay who claims he never got it. He got really pissed with me, but I shipped w/ USPS delivery confirmation, and USPS claims it was delivered. I didn't request signature confirmation, maybe that could have prevented the situation. That said, they're willing to leave stuff with anyone willing to sign (as opposed to checking your ID to make sure you're the person who is supposed to be receiving it). I felt bad, but I thought maybe he was trying to screw me by simply claiming he didn't get it.

Hearing other accounts of this has me thinking it is more likely. They say that crime goes up as the economy does worse. It probably makes a difference who's lurking about in your hood.

I haven't had anything stolen (fingers crossed) but I did have UPS deliver a package to the wrong address (who then accepted and signed for it). It was marked as delivered, but I called and had them go back to the driver, who went and retrieved the package the next day and brought it to me. It probably helped that I was at home at the exact time it was marked "delivered" so was sure it didn't actually come. And the driver remembered having difficulty finding my poorly labeled building.

Meth heads cruising for their next fix. The only alternative is to have pkg shipped to the PO insured with signature required. This forces you to pick up the pkg with ID.

Only enough this summer when working on our house I rebuilt the old mail drop with a nice big slot. Now all of our mail goes through it and in to the house. Damn hard to lift the mail now. However, UPS and USPS stiff leave pkg on the front porch at least sometimes they put them better the screen door and main door.

• 1 month later...

One of the packages was my stuff from New York to Seattle after my wife and I flew back from Barbados. We'd had airlines lose 2 bags on the trip so we figured mail would be better and we'd be paying overages if we didn't. We were outta luck.

I lost a brand new pair of Sportiva rock shoes, some designer men's leather sandalls, 1 ski jacket, 2 shirts, a belay jacket,and whole bunch more.

The other package was a brand new rope that REI gave us free store credit for---- bless their heart.

My USPS packages always wind up getting picked up at the PO because my subcontractor rural mail carrier is too damn lazy to come all the way up my driveway. I've suggested a new motto for them: The United States Postal Service: WE DON'T MAKE HOUSECALLS! We get other people's mail on a weekly basis, and I've had several checks either never arrive or wind up at someone else's house. This is due to the wonders of privatization: low bidder contract work. The Federal employees at my local Post Office are ultra excellent and I've never had issues with my PO Box (which is used for business). I've been contemplating just stopping the home mail delivery entirely and having it all go to the PO.

Since you can't see my house from the street, and the UPS and FedEx drivers all know us, so that sort of package theft hasn't been an issue. Travel is a different story though, either TSA or Alaska Airlines baggage handlers stole about $350 worth of stuff from my last checked airline baggage. I also found out that Alaska Airlines exempts itself from liability for anything anyone might want to steal.

Rat bastards.

Only enough this summer when working on our house I rebuilt the old mail drop with a nice big slot. Now all of our mail goes through it and in to the house. Damn hard to lift the mail now. However, UPS and USPS stiff leave pkg on the front porch at least sometimes they put them better the screen door and main door.

Don't piss off the local teenagers. They'll stick your garden hose into the slot, turn it on, and walk away.