Stick clips  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Stick clips

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wanted one every so often, and I have to admit I've used make-shift clip sticks from branches for a few routes (Vomit Launch comes to mind) Overall I'd say no, it just isn't a fun way to climb. Feels whacky.

Also, if the landing is decent (ie not huge boulders) it is kinda fun to treat the opening moves like a bouldering problem. I'd prefer to drag a crash pad with me rather than a clip stick. Plus, if I'm really having problems making the moves to the first bolt, the route is probably not going to happen no matter what sort of tricks I use.

I will always stick clip the first bolt on BBQ the Pope, but otherwise nope. Even then I'm not gonna waste 35-40 bucks buying one.

blue tcu in the undercling before the first bolt no stick clip required.

stick clipping vomit launch seems unnecissary if your climbing the grade... the da kline corner seems like it would require one though not that i have been on that route.

turtle-head-points....kind of like going for the brown-point and falling off in the middle of the crux...

back on topic - i rarely use one, and never felt the need for one on some of the routes listed above...but i don't climb hard enough to ever get on one of those routes where the first bolt is placed with the intention that it's always stick clipped...

Ibolt no stick clip required.

stick clipping vomit launch seems unnecissary if your climbing the grade... the da kline corner seems like it would require one though not that i have been on that route.

Yeah I use to go up Vomit Launch with no stick-clip. Then all of the sudden that starting foothold started feeling really slick the last few times up it, so I wussed and grabbed the dead tree stick clip up there and used it. The fall is very short but onto some nasty rocks and a long roll down the hill.

The first bolt on Sunblessed is deliberately placed much too high to stick clip.

what, 25-30 feet or so? Glad it was my partners lead, it took us a while to find and we werent going to walk away. I always feel like I am cheating when I stick clip but I'll do it if conditions warrant.

There are a couple routes where you jump from one boulder to the other with a big ass pit of death between them. Then stick clipping is acceptable. But in most cases it is pretty pansy.

there's the voice of youth and inexperience passing judgment on the world. in 1990 i broke my ankle quite badly and spent the next 14 weeks on crutches, nonweightbearing. my orthopedist told me to expect to end up having the joint fused but i was very, very lucky and had a good recovery with full range of motion in the joint, etc. my view is that everyone decides for himself or herself what risk is acceptable or not and it certainly isn't my place to pass judgment on what another person is willing to risk.

there's the voice of youth and inexperience passing judgment on the world. in 1990 i broke my ankle quite badly and spent the next 14 weeks on crutches, nonweightbearing. my orthopedist told me to expect to end up having the joint fused but i was very, very lucky and had a good recovery with full range of motion in the joint, etc. my view is that everyone decides for himself or herself what risk is acceptable or not and it certainly isn't my place to pass judgment on what another person is willing to risk.

yeah it seems a bit silly to make any sport into macho gamesmanship. the youth often seem more susceptible to this, still needing to prove their worth through whatever activities they engage in (been there done that, and gotta say i enjoy myself soooo much more having passed that phase).

having said that, competition is still way fun, as long as it stays lighthearted and non-judgmental for me, as is going for it in face of risk, ie soloing and such.