rant

Maine-iac

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm about to finish a bottle of 10-year-old Auchroisk i recently imported myself. then it will be on to the Blair Atholl, and after that the 14-year Ben Nevis...

btw, the wife and i raised a glass in honor of rabbie burns 250th birthday on sunday evening, not that maineiac ever needs to know who he was...

Don’t worry, it’s all part of the college experience. It gets even better when you have to pay 150$ for some broken piece of shit text book for the worthless class, only to sell it back for 10 bucks so they can resell the book to the next unlucky sap.

Ya, academic publishing is the biggest scam out there. They purposefully update the editions of books every year (often with minimal content changes) to hurt the resale value of older texts.

Thank goodness for international editions available for a quarter of the price, legal or not.

Don’t worry, it’s all part of the college experience. It gets even better when you have to pay 150$ for some broken piece of shit text book for the worthless class, only to sell it back for 10 bucks so they can resell the book to the next unlucky sap.

Ya, academic publishing is the biggest scam out there. They purposefully update the editions of books every year (often with minimal content changes) to hurt the resale value of older texts.

Thank goodness for international editions available for a quarter of the price, legal or not.

The purpose is also for lazy professors to meet their "publishing requirement". Many universities require that a professor publish every few years. An incremental new edition/update is the path of least resistance to meet this req.

The purpose is also for lazy professors to meet their "publishing requirement". Many universities require that a professor publish every few years. An incremental new edition/update is the path of least resistance to meet this req.

not for larry sabato or most of the profs i had at uva - jesus-fuck, 300 books it seems that mother-fucker's written and half on the required list!

A healthy exposure to the humanities* is necessary for a complete education, but far from sufficient.

Whenever I hear lit majors or their equivalents lavishing praise on themselves for their elevated sensibilities, I can't help but wish that they'd read CP Snow's "The Two Cultures."

*Personal definition excludes Communications, Media Studies, and a raft of other programs dedicated to vogueish parsings of inconsequential ephemera.

Whenever I hear lit majors or their equivalents lavishing praise on themselves for their elevated sensibilities, I can't help but wish that they'd read CP Snow's "The Two Cultures."

funny - whenever i hear anyone talking about anythign i wish they'd STFU and read "the stranger" :)

funny - whenever i hear anyone talking about anythign i wish they'd STFU and read "the stranger" :)

Wishing for a CP Snow Quote from the above work, were you? Here you go:

"A good many times I have been present at gatherings of people who, by the standards of the traditional culture, are thought highly educated and who have with considerable gusto been expressing their incredulity at the illiteracy of scientists. Once or twice I have been provoked and have asked the company how many of them could describe the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The response was cold: it was also negative. Yet I was asking something which is the scientific equivalent of: Have you read a work of Shakespeare's?

I now believe that if I had asked an even simpler question — such as, What do you mean by mass, or acceleration, which is the scientific equivalent of saying, Can you read? — not more than one in ten of the highly educated would have felt that I was speaking the same language. So the great edifice of modern physics goes up, and the majority of the cleverest people in the western world have about as much insight into it as their neolithic ancestors would have had."

I now believe that if I had asked an even simpler question such as, What do you mean by mass, or acceleration, which is the scientific equivalent of saying, Can you read? not more than one in ten of the highly educated would have felt that I was speaking the same language. So the great edifice of modern physics goes up, and the majority of the cleverest people in the western world have about as much insight into it as their neolithic ancestors would have had."

i was just trying to revel in my nihilism dude...it's exhausting :)

You really don't need any of that liberal horseshit at college. What you need is vocational training, how to do your job. That's what you're paying $ for, to get a job that will pay you bux so you can pay back that $ and make yourself $ to raise your family and kids in your own way without some lame-ass twerpy university types telling you how to live your life. How in the fuck can learning about some sentence structure in some fucking French novel make one $? What the fuck do the French know? Nothing about your future job, that's for sure. That's all you need, not some gay-ass literature or Humanities, reading some bullshit about other people you don't know or some shit that happened a long time ago. And especially finance or economics or political science and shit. That shit doesn't have anything to do with the common man just trying to do his job. You can learn all you need about the golden rule and morals and shit from your folks and the people in your community. And if you want a good story, there's television or movies and that shit don't take a goddamn week to get through. And there's news and analysts on tv too. Hey, Bill Gates dropped out of college, so he saw what bullshit it was, too.

JayB attempting to school Ivan.

Now that's funny.

that's not how i read it, but then i am very, very dense

i'm not illiterate in the sciences however, so maybe that helps - that said, i can't name the precepts of thermodynamics by #, but i can explain the theory in general and place its development in its historical context, and all for the low, low price of 1$/student/day!!!

i'm not illiterate in the sciences however, so maybe that helps - that said, i can't name the precepts of thermodynamics by #, but i can explain the theory in general and place its development in its historical context, and all for the low, low price of 1$/student/day!!!

I know the 2nd Law disproves evolution.

Wishing for a CP Snow Quote from the above work, were you? Here you go:

"A good many times I have been present at gatherings of people who, by the standards of the traditional culture, are thought highly educated and who have with considerable gusto been expressing their incredulity at the illiteracy of scientists. Once or twice I have been provoked and have asked the company how many of them could describe the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The response was cold: it was also negative. Yet I was asking something which is the scientific equivalent of: Have you read a work of Shakespeare's?

I now believe that if I had asked an even simpler question — such as, What do you mean by mass, or acceleration, which is the scientific equivalent of saying, Can you read? — not more than one in ten of the highly educated would have felt that I was speaking the same language. So the great edifice of modern physics goes up, and the majority of the cleverest people in the western world have about as much insight into it as their neolithic ancestors would have had."

"I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it."