alpinist back issues for "donation"?

Gary_Yngve

i have a full reading set, but also have these duplicates:

mint 0-8 still in the box

near-mint #10

rather than try to auction them to the highest bidder or weasel as much money as i can, i was instead thinking of doing something like charging a lot for it

(just out of my ass, like $35 for the #10 and $600 for the 0-8) where you donate the money to Central Asia Institute

https://www.ikat.org/make-a-donation/

and upon me getting a copy of your receipt, i give you the mags...

is this doable (tax shit might be weird)?

anything i need to be weary of? it would make me happy to unload the dups for a good cause (i'm moving to a new place in Seattle in a few weeks).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few climbers stationed here in Balad, Iraq for the next 6 months who would love to read them if your Central Asia Institute things doesn't work out. But who knows, with Obama on board we may be out of here by next week (I am not holding my breath).

Good luck

i don't care about the tax break.. i'm too poor/unencumbered to benefit from a nonstandard deduction.

sandman, that's a good idea too. i'm sure there are soldiers in iraq/afghanistan who would like it.. maybe even the 10th mtn division? any ideas how to make contacts and get stuff sent there?

(my concern would be that it truly reaches climbers over there, rather than someone who would appreciate it as much as a sports illustrated)

Im a soldier and a climber currently in Iraq, and I know two other climbers in my Company as well. We would love Alpinist, although I think they are far to valuable and donating them to CAI helps people too. Not 10th MTN, we are 4th ID from Colorado Springs, and Im from WA originally.

I know all of us would like any old issues of Rock and Ice or Climbing or any other magazines lying around. The selection at the PX doesnt go much beyond SI and Maxim.

Just an FYI, 0-8 are probably worth $200-$250. I think full collections were sold for something like $350-$450. So convincing someone to shell out 6 bills may be hard.

As was said whoever makes the donation gets the deduction. If the donation is based on getting something in return, they must subtract off the value of the items they get. So in this case the donation is zero. As such, you would be better selling the rags and then donating the money yourself.

I am in Balad, Iraq working at the hospital. There are 3 climbers that I know of in the hospital. Anything is much appreciated. No 10th mtn here either, but I got some buddies in Bagram. There may be 10th mtn there. I'll check.

Maj. Jason Sweeney

332d EMDG/OR-Anesthesia

APO AE 09315-9997

Thanks in advance and climb some ice for me. I am missing Alaska right now.

why not try ans send some to Afghanistan, too ? I think parts of 10th Mtn are there, plus loads of Spec Ops guys and others who climb, in one of the best climbing places on earth. Too bad they mostly have to look at the mtns and chase and shoot the bad guys in them instead of getting to climb them.

yeah, I imagine there are some 10th mtn in Bagram as it is close to the mountains. I have contacts there in the hospital, but not to any of the fighters. If anyone wants to send some to the hospital there, pm me and I will give you my contact.

Again, everything is much appreciated. Feels great to have a taste of home and pretend like your not at war if even for 30 minutes while you read a magazine. It is a spirit lifter. Gifts like this are well circulated here. Whther its passing them out to wounded guys on the ward or passing them around amongst fellow climbers in a unit, your gifts will get well used.

Edited by SandMan

• 2 weeks later...

MAJ Sweeney,

Have you gotten an address yet for your buddies in Bagram?

I've got several boxes of Climbing ready stateside for shipment.

SGT Slease,

Got any more addresses in Iraq or buddies in the 'stans?

FYI, these issues are old (8-10+ years or so), and may have been read already by you guys and your friends, but their yours if you want them.

Carry on.

Porter--I am in Portland and dont really have any plans to go to Seattle anytime soon. I'll just ship my stack of mags directly. I've got a bunch of old Climbing issues.

I have some a few as well. Maybe us PDXers can have a pub club and bring all our old mags to a central location, slap a buck or 2 on the person they give them to for shipping costs and we can get some over there as well and make it a significant thing.

Ive gotten three boxes of mags so far. Very much appreciated. I have already read a bunch. A story to add: A few days ago some Americans came in to the hospital after an IED attack. They were hit while driving an armored vehicle. The driver had extensive injuries to both legs. Without giving to many details away, I happen to be have one of the mags in the OR (I am an anesthesiologist). As we rolled him in, he saw it and asked if I climbed. I made some joking quip about how I'm mostly a poser and then put him to sleep. He did well and took 10 of the mags for the plane ride to Germany and then home. Very little consolation for the sacrifice he made, but he was happy to have them. So, thanks! I told him to look up the site here (which is why I didn't include to many details for his sake).