Cool stuff at the OR show?

layton

What neat stuff did y'all see?

Of course, the CiloGear crew had their awesome packs.

BD has a new umbilical system for ice tools, and a stupid V-threader template.

Metolius is coming out with a crazy tiny biner, smaller than CAMP's. Full strength keychain biner, but not tool user friendly for clipping gear.

OR has an Alpine version of their Alibi glove. sweet

KONG has an awesome lightweight nut tool.

Besides that, my eyes got pretty glazed over on all the other shit like shoes, tents, sleeping bags, and especially clothing, so I didn't really see anything super nifty.

So what did I miss?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the only thing that caught my eye were the new BD crampons. They are made from stainless steel. I laughed at their new umbilical system.

Probably the most interesting are all the skis, fat, little side cut reverse camber. I am still in the dark ages with mine.

Other than those few things it was a quiet show ...

I think this show needs to be an annual show...and move it to Vegas...or any place other than SLC. Plus, trade shows are ineffective and attendance is shrinking.

For both the show exhibitors and most importantly, the buyers that attend, the limited budgets everyone is dealing with right now dictates a once a year show. The market is shrinking, and there isn't that much new stuff. I get the winter/summer aspects of having two shows, but I think you can accomplish it all in one show. If you're a new, upcoming company, you can blow your load more efficiently and less expensively in one show, if need be, and make the presentation/debut that you need to market your product. And it frees up time and money to actually go and see your customers.

As an example, if you're business is electronics, there's only one premiere show you should attend: CES. They definitely cover the bases, but even at this major show, with lots of the latest, cool products, many key buyers didn't bother to show up.

As far as having the show in SLC; aside from having an opportunity to experience climbing, skiing and a great place to mountain bike, there are much better places to have a show. Vegas? Maybe, maybe not. I just said that above off handedly, but there are certainly many places, say in, Colorado, that could accomodate a show of this size. But more to that, there are so many places around the country that would be better suited, and I think more welcome, than SLC is (no offense Layton :wave: ...you need to come home anyway :brew:). Every time I'm there, both summer and winter, I get a sense that the city is just putting up with the show...to get the revenue, and then get back to the business at hand. JMO.

Let's move this show to once a year, have it in: Vegas, Bend or somewhere in NorCal...anywhere but UT. It's time to make a change.

I realize this doesn't specifically address the OT, I just thought I would give my $.02

Actually the show has done a lot for changing SLC for the better. Small things, like cabbie rules and club memberships, to large things like wilderness protection. You do not see these things unless you live here or really follow the OR news.

Many many mfg come only to the summer show. Some come every other year or two. For example, Wild Things came to the show this winter.

Though I live here and like walking down to it there are other good reasons for the winter show - demos on snow. The ski show is in Vegas, where you going to get snow? Though I spent lots of time in Oregon (lived there for 10 years), Bend is a bitch to get to by plane for a descent cost and there is no where near enough lodging let alone enough convention space. Reno is really about the only place that has both plus snow near by - and is a descent place. Portland is too far west so cost a lot for those on the east coast. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

You are correct that the market is shrinking. The OR business needs a good cleaning out. Way too much knick nack crap from climbing holds to shoes to clothing to plastic dohickies. The recession will to that. Those with good products will survive. Others will go by the wayside.

(no offense Layton :wave: ...you need to come home anyway :brew:).

Exactly. Ya know, MIIII-chael, spring would be a good time to come back - leave the SLC summer and come back to the PNW summer.

Edited by S1W

oh, and PEIPS has a nice lightweight tiny avy transceiver that's actually very inexpensive

Sounds nice. I need to get a new one in the next couple years.

The question I have is when is somebody going to sell a cheap inflatable balloon to carry while skiing?

[img:center]http://www.thegreenwichphantom.co.uk/uploaded_images/park-wolfman-6-737729.jpg[/img]

Whats the deal with their umbilical system? Is it like one of those via-fereta systems w/ a built in screamer?

I has a loop for girth hitching, a built in swivel, and doesnt use fabrics that absorb water. I personally think is a great improvement over the grivel one and plan on purchasing one.

And the SS crampons are :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Probably the most interesting are all the skis, fat, little side cut reverse camber. I am still in the dark ages with mine.

Had a funny conversation with a ski mfg www.birdos.com regarding reverse camber skis the other day. The gist was "they are great for mini gold and other defined conditions, for real mountains, I ski traditional skis"

The early bird in a 201 makes me horny.

The show is so big now that I'd hate for it to be 1x/year, that would make it even more ginormus. I'd like to see the people whho run OR be a little more selective about who they rent space to, as mentioned above, way too much "lifestyle" crap. Just the real thing, thanyouverymuch.

The fact that the show attendance is down a bit actually makes it a lot easier to get work done, you spend less time wallowing in huge crowds.

I'm fine with the show being in SLC, it's kind of a sucky town, but who cares? I'm so tired at the end of the day that grabbing a bite and falling into bed early's about all I have left.

I actually think that two shows a year is the only thing that makes sense. Some specialty retailers don't bother coming in the summer; others feel that way about the winter. If it was once a year it would literally have to be seven days long for the same number of reps to meet their stores and show the winter and the summer products. That would be insanity bordering on stupidity. I am confident that anybody pushing for an annual show has never been on the sales side, and has never written checks for a store.

I would also say that SLC is pretty much an ideal location for the show. Vegas would be idiotic: SIA will be in Denver next year for a reason. As far as I know, there isn't a single roof venue in Denver that can accomodate even the smaller winter OR. And west of Denver and you'd lose 60% of the market from the east coast. At least in SLC, you can go twenty minutes from the show in a car and get backcountry turns or alpine rock...

Then again, I like SLC and think it's a pretty fine place to live. Layton's lucky: great ice, great snow, great rock. And no three months of gloomy rain to live through...

Other than the umbilical from BD and (shameless plug) the awesome new cilogear packs (/shameless plug), I didn't see any totally new product at all, but the mammut belay device looked more polished and interesting.

As for inflatable ballons, ABS is going to sell their ballons to OEM pack companies. I think that somebody is going to try to sell one for under $500, but I honestly didn't get the full story. Obviously, ours will be made from Dyneema and cost almost as much as a new car. ;)

Other than the umbilical from BD and (shameless plug) the awesome new cilogear packs (/shameless plug), I didn't see any totally new product at all, but the mammut belay device looked more polished and interesting.

comeon man! BD is redoing their ski touring poles! I creamed my pants at that thought! And just think - skins with a ball joint to break in the middle of your tour! Woohoo!

comeon man! BD is redoing their ski touring poles! I creamed my pants at that thought! And just think - skins with a ball joint to break in the middle of your tour! Woohoo!

And the colors...the new colors of all of last year's products!

Although I have to confess I sort of covet one of these "tents" from MSR, but why, well, I am not sure..

The totem cams actually look nice now. When I first saw them they looked worse than the first packs I made, and now they look very nicely made indeed. I'd buy one for $62, which is what they think they can sell them for...