[TR] Hyalite - 1/16/2009

Lub

Trip: Hyalite -

Date: 1/16/2009

Trip Report:

Due to my disdain for life in Portland and love of Montana and its frozen goods, I decided it would be a good idea to make my second trip of the year. Despite a cold causing me to hack my lungs out, Moira and I left last Friday after work for two days of climbing. After two incidents with the law (and roughly $250 in fines), we finally got to Bozeman at 6:30 am, tried to catch a bit of sleep and some breakfast, and slowly headed up the canyon.

Feeling tired and sicker yet, we started our day at the Unnamed Wall. First off, a friend of mine from Bozeman and I jumped on The Good Looking One, which was great fun and a total hook-fest. After that we headed over to the Elevator Shaft and found super-plastic conditions. The Thrill is Gone was full of ice and looked great. However, I'm over frozen showers.

We were feeling the effects of sleep deprivation, so we headed to the amphitheater for one last quick route. The steep pillar was full of brittle ice and finding good sticks was tough, but it was fun none the less.

Day two was short on climbing, although fun. With Cleos in mind and an interest in checking out Airborne Ranger, we started at Twin and found generally funky ice and a party on the needle. So, we headed over to the mummies. Mummy II was stellar plastic with lots of fun lines. The Scepter is also in huge. I walked over with every intention of doing it until I found it to be a total shower. Something about 30 degree water really turns me off.

Perhaps, not the most productive two days, but considering illness and lack of sleep, it was good. Every day in Hyalite is a good day! Pictures to follow (if Moira will post them. I didn't take any, oops).

Approach Notes:

-Extra cash to pay off the authorities.

-Any necessary items to ease your agro nature (after dealing with the authorities).

-The canyon is FULL of donkey trails now!

-You could ride your bike to the trail head on the beautifully plowed road. Thank you JoJo and everyone else who made it possible.

Edited by Lub

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, I think I was in some sort of illness-induced daze coupled with too many dreamy conversations of the route...Definitely didn't get on Come and Get It...Insert, The Good Looking One. I, certainly, don't have the balls for that at this point...

2 speeding tickets = $243

1 gallon of gas in Montana = $1.43

2 days of climbing in Hyalite = priceless

Thanks for a fun weekend Casey and "'Lub"!

A few choice shots:

Casey on The Good Looking One

IMGP1663.JPG

IMGP1667.JPG

'Lub on The Elevator Shaft

IMGP1677.JPG

Casey on some climb in The Amphitheater--notice water ice climber's right taking a leak!

IMGP1680.JPG

Kristina and me on Mummy II

IMGP1689.JPG

'Lub considering whether he likes 33 degree showers at The Sceptre

IMGP1681.JPG

Edited by moira armen

• 4 weeks later...