Looking for route conditions for Banks Lake Area

jpark42

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went with Paul and climbed part of a large flow just north of Salt and Pepper. Paul can probably identify the actual climb but it was good ice for the most part. Not too much to climb right now. Lower Trotskys was rotten with exposed rock at the top. Devils and upper trotskys looked great but had HUGE death hazard above. Salt and Pepper had less ice on it than I've seen in the last 5 years. The bottom half of The Cable is just blobs of ice that aren't connected.

On a positive note, we were able to make several laps on some good ice that made the trip worthwhile.

Children of the Sun was bare at the top. Clockwork Orange had a really thin first pitch but a fat top pitch. Champagne could probably be done if you can climb WI5+/6. Guinness looked pretty good from the road. The other beer climbs were really thin with lots of rock showing.

Hope this helps. Paul should be able to give more specifics about the route we were on.

Edited by chrisr

I tried to shoot off the deathcicle above the punchbowl once. It didn't work, untill that afternoon when it fell while I was climbing it. I was young and stupid and didn't know any better, but those things are not that easy to shoot off.

I was in Banks and the 25th and there was a bunch of ice that was in. Peewee's playhouse had a bunch of climbable stuff. I'll try to post pics later.

Edited by Calder

I checked out the climbs on Wed the 28. As noted, the cable looked not so good, though i recall the two climbs to it's left looked to be in/good enough.

punchbowl's icicles seemed less ominous than usual.

Zenith looked good. Although the connecting pillar seemed longer than it was last year, the color seemed to be more solid for climbing than the foamy suds I recall from last year. (note that this year's Zenith observation is from the road)

the climbs way up on the bluff to the East of the highway, just out of Electric City seemed to not be worth the gargantuan (by banks standards) approach.

Nothing across the lake looked any good at all.

and of coarse there were a butt-load of worthy little pitches between punchbowl and cable, which is where we found our adventure.

helmut gud