Petzl Double Ropes

DanielHarro

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, I got a pair a month or so ago. I got 'em for rock, but I've only gotten to use them on back country ice. So not much as far as abrasion testing so far, but I love them so far. They're pretty close to the Beal ice lines, if I remember right. They've got a super tight weave, so they don't drag much, either. I'm a happy camper.

screw Petzl. After the way their shit fell apart and they just ignored it, I'd never ever want to buy any of their shit ever again, but especially their ropes.

Do a search on Rockclimbng.com on "Petzl ropes falling apart and Petzl telling owners to piss off" if you are wondering.

Used to own Beal but wasn't that impressed with their durability. Seemed to go fuzzy very quickly - or was that because I dragged them up thousands of feet of shitty rock in the Yukon? Either way I've been very impressed with the current set of Mammut ropes I own. Survived similar treatment and still looking OK.

Ade

screw Petzl. After the way their shit fell apart and they just ignored it, I'd never ever want to buy any of their shit ever again, but especially their ropes.

Do a search on Rockclimbng.com on "Petzl ropes falling apart and Petzl telling owners to piss off" if you are wondering.

The rope was used by this particular reviewer for top roping in I believe J-tree or something with the super abrasive nature of sandstone rock. But if you look at his set up, you can plainly see that when the rope was weighted, it dragged on the bulge or ledge that was directly below it- not good for any rope. I personally have a piece of shite petzl rope that I was sceptical about, but it's held up for 2 years now with sport climbing and the like. BTW, I haven't heard anything else similar about petzl ropes falling apart from others either.

The Petzl ropes are made by Cousin(sp?) . I had the core ends herniate out of the sheath and a progressive kinkiness develop in a Petzl Nomad rope, but if we are comparing to BEAL?? jeezus no contest. Even at double price I would rather get the Petzl than a p.o.s. Beal - in fact that is how I got the Petzl, as a warranty replacement for a Beal.

I have petzl doubles too, but not much mileage on them yet to judge durability.

just buy Mammut or Edelrid.

...& waiting for you-know-who to start posting about his $5 wal-mart rope...

Can't afford the rope yet, just bought my 4 season tent today for $7. I'll use my next unemployment check for the rope and then I'll be ready for Thermogenisis.

I bought a pair of dragonflies from MEC for an ice climbing trip in the rockies over xmas. After the third rap from the first route we climbed (off an established, bolted rap route, straight down), one was rendered useless...a cut into the core. Granted Rockies limestone can be sharp...but pretty scary lack of abrasion resistance.

On similar terrain, my genisis lasted 3+ years.

• 3 weeks later...
its too bad that mammut does not make a 70meter double rope.... I have really liked the extra weight...

After owning/climbing on Edelweiss, Sterling, PMI, Beal, Bluewater, Millet, Petzl, Mammut and New England/Maxim ropes I won't buy anything but Mammut or Sterling with the exceptions of the Edelweiss 9.6mm Laser ARC and the Millet 9.8mm Silver Triaxle. I've been very impressed with both the 8mm and 8.5mm doubles from Mammut.

Used to own Beal but wasn't that impressed with their durability. Seemed to go fuzzy very quickly - or was that because I dragged them up thousands of feet of shitty rock in the Yukon? Either way I've been very impressed with the current set of Mammut ropes I own. Survived similar treatment and still looking OK.

if you are talking about the tombstones, i would LOVE to see some pics. i have been thinking about making a trip up there to give them a try.

as far as the thread goes - blue water are tops in my books. i have been using the 8.6mm doubles for a few years on ice, alpine, and trad. my partner just got a pair of the ice floss 8mm and they are also pretty sweet. i love single pick sheaths.