Obama actually did it

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it a rest.

I hope not. Not until we are sure we've made it clear that we don't stand for that crap. Obama is making some good initial statements that may be intended to suggest he is fulfilling campaign pledges, but I hope somebody will hold his feet to the fire or I fear he'll backslide.

As much as you would like to see us continue life as usual, I would not.

Can't say I've quite understood the 3rd Amendment to the Bill of Rights in the overall context of the contemporary world:

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Seems a bit outdated if you take it literally. But the intent, if I understand correctly, is that the military is subordinate to the civilian authority.

I don't take this to just mean that the President is the Commander-in-Chief but I'll take the liberty to loosely extrapolate that military means and ends do NOT have primacy.

Bush's 'war on terror' comes to a sudden end

--msnbc

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. . . and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

I suspect this may flip back some after the next attack depending how big it is. For now, nice that part of the genie got stuffed back into the bottle. They are still monitoring every phone call and computer transmission in the United States, possibly most of the world as well.

Can't say I've quite understood the 3rd Amendment to the Bill of Rights in the overall context of the contemporary world:

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Seems a bit outdated if you take it literally. But the intent, if I understand correctly, is that the military is subordinate to the civilian authority.

I don't take this to just mean that the President is the Commander-in-Chief but I'll take the liberty to loosely extrapolate that military means and ends do NOT have primacy.

[/url]--msnbc

Actually, as I recall from my high school history classes, billeting of British soldiers in random homes was routinely done and quite an inconvenience for the owners of those homes, often just on the authority of those troops' commanding officer. So the founding fathers felt the need to explicitly prohibit this sort of behavior, viewing it akin to illegal taxation.

The notion that the military is subordinate to civilian authority stems from the president being a civilian office and being the CIC.

More actuality, the bit about billeting soldiers has many historical origins, but the founders had their most recent history from Britain in mind: In 1655 Cromwell divided England and Wales into 11 districts putting a Major General in charge of each to police, maintain public order and collect taxes. Things didn't go so well as Cromwell was a dictator pure and simple. Then in our own DOI we read: "He has kept among us, in time of peace, Standing Armies without the consent of our legislatures. He has affected to render the military independent of superior to the Civil Power."

Samuel Adams said it so in 1768... "But, to be called to account by a common soldier, or any soldier, is a badge of slavery which none but a slave will wear."

Now back to the beginning of this thread. More terrorists in the cross hairs is fine will me, but I don't think they'll be captured next time, except by accident. Is that a buzzing al-Shihri is hearing? I am sure it is. So O has punted back to his base, so what? Does anybody really think they'll be coming here, if so why and how? Would the communities they are imprisoned in be subjected to their visitors?

We have come along way since the days of summary execution of Nazi insurgents in Germany, even after WWII ended, but to think we will afford our enemies the full benefits of our constitution is wrong.

I personally want to thank you for not fucking up this time around.

Can you remember when that deranged old guy and the floozy wanted to run the country?

Can you imagine what the world would be thinking of you guys?

This is certainly a sunrise over the last near decade of darkness and evil. Righteousness reigns over wrong, finally.

Even with the dire mess in which these bandits have left things, people everywhere seem to have a much greater feeling of hope.

What an orator, what refreshing ideas. I am sure that half of the good feeling is directly related to the fact that the religious right and neoconservatives have shown there ideals to be false, fruitless and evil, and we have seen that last of them.