Amazing beyond words

billcoe

... i heard that to mean: we are a pluralistic society that accepts equality for women, all religions, etc - the al queda manifesto against the usa said we had to essentially apologize and renouce those lifestyle choices though.

Perhaps others may have taken "We will not apologize for our way of life..." to to mean: "We will continue to borrow like the world will end tomorrow and spend money like drunken sailors while we use the worlds resources 3 times as much as anyone else as we damn well please so sod off and just move out of Iraq so we can get our pumps in there and move along to Afghanistan we're not apologizing for any of this at all." ? Hmmmm....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We will not apologize for our way of life..."

Can't help but think that this line inspired a few quizzical looks back and forth and a momentary pause between claps amongst The Nation's subscriber base.

yeah I thought that sounded an awfully lot like Bush... The Daily show had a funny comparison between Bush speeches and Obama's.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/index.jhtml?episodeId=216535

I personally think we should apologize. I mean, if everyone lived like us we'd need 5 Earth's to have enough resources, etc. I think we have plenty of things to apologize for...

If anyone wants to absolve themselves of the sins which their American lifestyle makes them complicit in, I will be happy to take receipt of the title to their cars, their homes*, and direct transfers of all funds used to supply the above with fuel, water, electricity, modern medicine, travel, and any consumer goods over and above those which are part of a third-world caliber subsistence lifestyle into a special account that I'll set up for that very purpose. I'll be happy to forward the funds thus derived to a charity of your choosing on an annual basis.

Any funds not donated to charity will be used to indulge in angst-free heli-skiing trips to Valdez, extended fly-fishing and kayaking junkets in New Zealand, summers climbing in Squamish and the South Platte, etc but I'd be willing to consider purchasing carbon offsets commensurate with the resources that I consume on all of the said trips if anyone insisted.

Cleanse yourself, my Children! Heave your guilt onto my shoulders! Amen! Hallelujah, and start signing those checks...!

*Sans the 125% LTV, I/O, Neg-AM Option ARM or similar mortgage, if applicable.

... i heard that to mean: we are a pluralistic society that accepts equality for women, all religions, etc - the al queda manifesto against the usa said we had to essentially apologize and renouce those lifestyle choices though.

Perhaps others may have taken "We will not apologize for our way of life..." to to mean: "We will continue to borrow like the world will end tomorrow and spend money like drunken sailors while we use the worlds resources 3 times as much as anyone else as we damn well please so sod off and just move out of Iraq so we can get our pumps in there and move along to Afghanistan we're not apologizing for any of this at all." ? Hmmmm....

C'mon now Bill. You've done plenty of good while consuming all of those resources. Provided a good home with heat, light, food, etc for your family, provided an income for other folks, enabled other people to do the same, contributed a fortune in taxes to help fund medicare, medicaid, social security, public education, foreign-AID, scientific research, etc - all without borrowing like a drunken sailor.

Take off the hair-shirt! It suits Prole much better than you, my friend!

If anyone wants to absolve themselves of the sins which their American lifestyle makes them complicit in, I will be happy to take receipt of the title to their cars, their homes*, and direct transfers of all funds used to supply the above with fuel, water, electricity, modern medicine, travel, and any consumer goods over and above those which are part of a third-world caliber subsistence lifestyle into a special account that I'll set up for that very purpose. I'll be happy to forward the funds thus derived to a charity of your choosing on an annual basis.

Any funds not donated to charity will be used to indulge in angst-free heli-skiing trips to Valdez, extended fly-fishing and kayaking junkets in New Zealand, summers climbing in Squamish and the South Platte, etc but I'd be willing to consider purchasing carbon offsets commensurate with the resources that I consume on all of the said trips if anyone insisted.

Cleanse yourself, my Children! Heave your guilt onto my shoulders! Amen! Hallelujah, and start signing those checks...!

Dude, NZ is totally on sale right now. I just got an email about a 270 each way ticket.

C'mon now Bill. You've done plenty of good while consuming all of those resources. Provided a good home with heat, light, food, etc for your family, provided an income for other folks, enabled other people to do the same, contributed a fortune in taxes to help fund medicare, medicaid, social security, public education, foreign-AID, scientific research, etc - all without borrowing like a drunken sailor.

Sounds like everyone got the memo except you Jay.

Dude, NZ is totally on sale right now. I just got an email about a 270 each way ticket.

Wow. :cry: Sure beats ~$3500!

Sounds like everyone got the memo except you Jay.

And Obama, evidently.

[video:youtube]

I’d suppose that the young activists, visionaries and radicals of the 60’s and early 70’s saw two different images of America. One was held by Nixon’s silent majority who often said, “America, Love it or Leave it" and who remember well John Wayne’s words, “Never say sorry—it’s a sign of weakness.”

The other image of America was one of a world in flux progressing towards an expansion of values to be more inclusive, representing a higher unity. The world is the tribe. Perhaps that's too lofty an ideal but it feels like that spirit again.

The cynic in me sees Obama as an embodiment of virtue as described in Machiavelli’s The Prince. The sacred oath loses something if one mouths the word "God" but does not acknowledge the actual existence of such in some form.

Nevertheless, while the President speaks of challenges and hardship his head steadily looks up so that our gaze is directed upwards with his.

Maybe a little cryptic but here’s one for the oldsters:

[video:youtube]xWGAdzn5_KU