filter pump or tablets...?

banos

Having had both Giardia (a week after a trip to Broken Top) and Salmonella (the day following my wife while trekking in Peru), I too consider myself an expert on the subject of GI problems (i.e. I can explosively shit while puking at the same time) :D.

Here is my take, in the backcountry of the US, Canada, and parts of Europe I am not that worried for the most part. Really depends on where. Sometimes I treat my water sometimes not. For instance, while in canyons I treat my water by filtering. Up on mountain less so. Why? canyons are collectors while mountains are sources.

While in remote third world areas that has a local population around I will almost always treat my water. I have used, drops, tabs, and a filter. I really do not like the after taste of iodine tabs but have learned to deal with it.

My filter for the past 20 years Katadyn Ceramic Filter. Great filter for above freezing temps. Leaving water in it with a hard freeze can crack the filter.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

johndavidjr, with all due respect, you are a douchebag.

But to the subject at hand, Giardiasis may take one-two weeks to have symptoms manifest. One exposure is enough, so Dannible did not need to be in the BC for two weeks as you so ridiculously implied. Also giardiasis symptoms may show up sooner than one week. I have a friend who drank unfiltered water once on the last day of his two week backpacking trip on the Rogue...he had severe giardiasis symptoms three days later.

Please stop posting the same mindless drivel. It really gets old hearing that we're uninformed, ignorant, useless, hopeless people. Get over the fact that no one cares for your informed opinion and leave.

Edited by rocky_joe

If one is in backcountry for less than two weeks and gets giardiasis, then it's likely exposure occurred before entering backcountry. If in BC for a week or less, it's nearly certain.

Verstehen?

Your friend on the Rouge probably shared some trail mix with a grubby backpacker a week before he got the symptoms.

If you want information, you've got to READ about this, and not just listen to your mother or your friends.

I think your point has been made johndavidjr. If you would like to continue sharing your research on Giardia, water filtering efficacy etc. I encourage you to start a new thread on that topic in the Climbing forum.

Let's bring this thread back to the topic of critiquing gear - water filters, pills, magic beans etc.

JDJ-why do you keep talking? I know you think you know everything, But contrary to what you say I'm going to keep purifying my water with iodine, I don't mind the taste and haven't yet to get sick from it. now I know what you're going to say, you won't get sick from the water, because ppl carry it, however I don't care. i'm not inclined to take my chances because there are a few "research" articles that claim you won't get it outdoors, especially when I know people who have experienced otherwise. If one looks hard enough one can always find "facts" to support a preconceived hypothesis. Chances are your cites are done by biased researchers who misinterpreted statistically irrelevant information to make a quick buck publishing the rubbish.

I really think either Iodine or other tabs are the best bet for lengthy trips in the backcountry. Even if in places with pure water, better safe than sorry.

I got giardia from my walmart tent.

The tent leaked like crazy, so it was useless as a shelter, and I just used it to filter my water. I'm sure it was from the tent, because it's so obvious from the literature that untreated water doesn't pose any risk of giardia.

What John fails to understand is:

Yeah, sure. One is unlikely to get the shit from untreated water, especially high in the Cascades or Sierra. BUT, it's possible. You don't KNOW that someone from the group a day before you, who happens to be a carrier, didn't take a massive dump just up stream from where you're dipping your water bottle.

I for one, don't care to take the chance and it's worth my time to treat what I drink, especially since it takes so little time to do so. Hell - one of my fellow 06 PCT-ers was nailed by giardia at Cascade Locks. Sucks to make it 2150 miles only to get sent home with a case of the projectile shits.

Add to what was said on hygene, that Purell is great while in the BC, only a fool shakes hands out there without subsequently doing a dose of Purell and you'd be especially stupid to grub a handfull of trail mix out of an open container. All pretty basic hygene that anyone will know.

Oh yeah Jon - saying the same stuff over and over, only more obnoxiously, isn't the best way to make your point.

Nearly impossible to make somebody change their mind about politics based on new information. Weird, but true.

Odd that health-related topics are so similar, but this is problematic. For example, link with smoking and health was understood for decades before this was popularly accepted.

My girlfriend dead-set that vitamin C is theraputic regarding the common cold, despite science to contrary. Perhaps psychologically, health topics are like politics and brand loyalty. Works for me...Love de Black Diamond climbing gear and always will.

Y'all could just eat lots of oranges, and watch sun revolve around the earth....

My point is perhaps somewhat like telling the average hunter that it's okay to ban machine guns.............

Due to lack of innate ability, or perhaps education, many are unable to distinguish between credible and non-credible sources of information. This is true regarding Internet, as well as standard newsstands and libraries.

Yet I don't believe this explains why people never change their political views based on information.

It's something more profound and stupid and interesting.

My girlfriend dead-set that vitamin C is theraputic regarding the common cold, despite science to contrary. Perhaps psychologically, health topics are like politics and brand loyalty. Works for me...Love de Black Diamond climbing gear and always will.

Y'all could just eat lots of oranges, and watch sun revolve around the earth....

My point is perhaps somewhat like telling the average hunter that it's okay to ban machine guns.............

Four issues with this post.

1. You gave a shout out to BD...where's the puptent love...I mean come on man $19 and you get a damned sewn floor. That's legit.

2. You have a girlfriend?!?!?! Now I've heard it all.

3. Science has shown that both oranges and the sun carry Giardia, so I probably won't be spending too much time with either.

4. The only hunter who cares about machine guns is a certain ex VP candidate in AK...

+

=

Good Ole Time with Sarah Palin

Oh and one final note: “Neither health department surveillance nor the medical literature supports the widely held perception that giardiasis is a significant risk to backpackers in the United States. In some respects, this situation resembles (the threat to beachgoers of a) shark attack: an extraordinarily rare event to which the public and press have seemingly devoted inappropriate attention.” -Yosemite Publication

No wonder I stay away from those dang beaches.

I like chlorine dioxide tablets over iodine. The literature (peer reviewed science journals) suggests that chlorine dioxide is effective against Giardia spp and Cryptorsporidium spp. given enough contact time.

FWIW, I worked for over 10 years as a water quality scientist. I investigated Giardia spp. and Cryptorsporidium spp. in surface waters and found them in every stream I sampled, including streams in protected watersheds. Now, these were often low concentrations, however it indicates how wide spread these organisms are.

The one time I for sure had a water borne illness I got from drinking untreated snow melt at the base of the East Ridge of Eldorado. I was ill for months, but definitely not by Giardia or Crypto. Never figured out what it was, but I didn't like it. My personal experience along with my research suggests that one is much more likely to be ill from bacteria than protozoans when drinking untreated water. And sick is sick regardless of the bug that is causing it.

HoosierDaddy...

Thanks.. that's pretty much the conclusion I'm cominmg to.. and while I'd like to have my filter/pump to directly fill my hydro resiviour, basically bringing it for that purpose alone doesn't justify the wt/space... I'm thinking I'm gonna have a hard enough time stuffing everything inside my 55L

The half-dozen articles linked above, are mainly written by scientists and/or cite extensive literature. The mostly wiseacre comments in response suggest the folklore about water is correct, and the science is wrong, because, well, it's common sense.

I'm now scared about falling off edge of horizon, and will take breadcrumbs next time I go to the forest.

please do fall off the horizon.

The one time in my life I had a GI infection happened to coincide with the one time I drank unpurified water on the north side of baker. Hmmm. Must have been from someone else's filthy hands and not the water. NO! It was the water!

But at least you were nice and dry inside your $5 tent, right?