[TR] Mt. Hood - Cooper Spur 1/15/2009

chris_erickson

Trip: Mt. Hood - Cooper Spur

Date: 1/15/2009

Trip Report:

Went up the Cooper Spur 1/14 -1/15. Some notes:

Avy danger was listed each day somewhere between moderate and considerable. Our on-slope judgment was that it was somewhere between zero and zero. It's one gigantic, consolidated, impenetrable layer. Even with afternoon warmth there's no way it was going to slide.

Zero rockfall, even with forecasted temps 45+.

The Tilly Jane trail is a disaster. Bullet-proof, trees down, branches everywhere.

Absolutely perfect climbing conditions (rock-hard snow for front-pointing), and really, really, really terrible ski conditions.

The North Face and Black Widow look to be in perfect shape.

Here are some pictures, there are more on my website www.chrisaerickson.com

Cooper Spur 191.JPG

Cooper Spur 221.JPG

Cooper Spur 207.JPG

Edited by chris_erickson

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice.

I was checking out your website. Very cool to see you have done many of the same trips/peaks I did back in the day... Scott's Peak, Panorama... I worked at the lodge you stayed at in Kantishna - Denali Backcountry Lodge (hence my cc.com name). I spent 8 summers working for them, even met my wife there. Sure brings back some great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Ivan, you going for the NF?

inshahallah - probably walk up there and bivy on the elliot on saturday and get on the route first light on sunday - there's room for at least 2 parties on the n face (and all the fools in the world who don't mind following below them :) )

letsroll: it was icy everywhere, every aspect, every elevation. If I did it over again I'd still ski to and from the A-frame, but just know that it's survival skiing.

denalidave: I leave in 6 weeks for my 6th season in Denali. 4 on the northside, this will be my second based in Talkeetna. Can't beat the area!

denalidave: I leave in 6 weeks for my 6th season in Denali. 4 on the northside, this will be my second based in Talkeetna. Can't beat the area!

Both my wife & I look forward to when our kids are old enough that we can, once again, spend a summer or three up there. Till then, I will have to live vicariously through others here online.

We met you at the trailhead on your way down. You gave me the great advice on the ski conditions so I cached my skis about 1/2 mile up. You guys probably saved me from a broken bone or skull fracture. Update on the snow conditions from TJ to treeline; If you don't take skis, at the very least take snow shoes. I postholed for 2 hours to get to above timberline. Horrid snow. Great job guys. through binocs we were able to pick out your line from just under 8000'. Are you going to mention the route finding choice on the way down? :/