Index and/or X38 Conditions

Crillz

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Index parking lot has about a foot of snow on it. The entire trail to the LTW is buried, although the base is clear. I would imagine the trail to the UTW is in full conditions, and snow melt is common. The remainder of this winters snowfall is truly amazing and surprising. Slightly to the west, the trail to Wallace Falls was snow free to ~1700'.

Well, looking for myself payed off this time. We bouldered in the clearcut below Zeke's Saturday and climbed at the Country on Sunday - both days were excellent.

Zeke's boulders are free of snow and everything in the clearcut is dry. We were able to drive to the top of the clearcut by playing redneck an beating the shit out of my truck. Zero to four inches of snow is at the base of LTW and the Country; most all of the routes are dry.

The friction is good and the breeze is warm. If anyone has MLK day off and was wondering, I suggest heading out.

Cheers,

Orion

Edited by orion_sonya

Just got back from enjoying my MLK holiday at 38. Very windy, but the rock was DRY. Did some roped bouldering (gritscone) with 2 newer climbers to stay out of the wind. 46 degrees felt warm after climbing in 25 degree weather at Smith this weekend (weather service said it would be in the 60s!!!!).

I went climbing with Argus at the UTW on Sunday. There was some snow on the trail, but it's wasn't terrible. The rock was dry.

While there, we scrubbed and climbed Free Range Chook at Shady lane. Cramer gives it 3 of 4 stars. Very good, but short route.

NOTHING keeps you down, does it!!!

I went climbing with Argus at the UTW on Sunday. There was some snow on the trail, but it's wasn't terrible. The rock was dry.

While there, we scrubbed and climbed Free Range Chook at Shady lane. Cramer gives it 3 of 4 stars. Very good, but short route.

NOTHING keeps you down, does it!!!

To be fair, it was Argus' idea. We went looking for DGS, found Shady lane instead and I got to scrubbing while he cleared the crack.

But no, very little will stop me from climbing when it's time.

• 2 weeks later...

Mighty fine, indeed. :tup: I think I even got a tan. :cool:

Heads up on that middle stretch of the 5.7 pitch of Roger's Corner. A grapefruit-sized chunk came right out in my hand. With the wet sand pushing through behind the loose bits of rock, looks like there's a few more ready to let go. I didn't want to get to ambitious with my cleaning, in case it's just one piece holding the whole thing together...

• 2 weeks later...