climbing & drugs-- your stories wanted

chris_stolz

Hi folks. I am writing an article about climbing (any kind) and drug (any kind) use. I am interested in 2 broad areas--

a) use of non-trycyclic antidepressants while climbing

b) use of any other drug-- booze, weed, shroomies, whatever--

Complete anonymity guaranteed. Interested in dosage/frequency of use, risks/benefits/effects, your philosophies of climbing and/or drug use(if you have one), what partners etc have to say about your use/habit, good stories involving these, etc. I have had a few responses from my post on Gripped and would like to hear from more people. You could post comments on here, or email me directly.

chris

email: chris.stolz(att) gmail (dott) com

Edited by chris_stolz

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was on the summit of a Hood last spring, (My first climb) I thought that a Joint would be nice. Then I thought about what it will take to get off the summit. Never mind the rest of the mountain. I went up the old chute, and decended the chute just before the summit ridge gets skinny, any one know what im talking about? Its was super steep and Icy, Good cramponing, but still I think I needed all my wits to decend the old chute. And the fact that a huge chunk of ice fell down that chute, and rolled all the way to crater rocks fumroles 10 min. after we got off that headwall I was glad I did not burn one. Just my experance here.

Thankfully this didn't happen to me, but two of my partners (call them Walt and Tim) went on a wall with two other guys (good friends/partners of theirs). Reefer huffing was rampant:

1. Walt (non-reefer huffer) got sent out of lead with the rack the much more experienced reefer huffer prepared for him as the right rack for the pitch. It wasn't, things sucked badly for my friend. Refer huffing was attributed as the main reason for the bone head rack selection for that pitch.

2. A day or two later reefer huffer #1 lead the pitch. Reefer huffer #2 was screwing with bag rigging for a very long time (attributed to refer huffing). Upon being annoyed by the delay reefer huffer #1 started hauling. The locking biner to the swivel was not locked (source of much controversy), and it unclipped, sending the bags went for the big ride. Fortunately for the bags, but not reefer huffer #2, there was a lower out line. The lower out line proceeded to wrap around reefer huffer #2's legs and give him very bad rope burns as the bags wrenched to a stop (probably >>200 lbs of gear). The rope was nearly cut loose by Walt to end the screaming, but Tim managed to get an ascender on the line to save the bags as well as reefer huffer #2's legs. Walt took his rope, bag, and bailed. The three remaining stooges soldiered on for another day or so before it became clear that it wasn't gonna happen.

Edited to fix refer to reefer. Tells you how much reefer I've huffed.

Edited by Moof

I can never forget the dude that puked his mind as he came up to the Hogsback ridge on Mt Hood.

I was watching this guy struggling up the hill, and I was thinkin' that this would be a great time to smoke a camel...

Well, dude came within ten feet of where I was sitting, and the wind shifted, and he apparently got a whiff of that sweet Turkish and American blend, and that was enough for him to hurl the three power bars and half a liter of cytomax in his stomach...

Strange. I have never seen some one react like that to the "Turkish and American" blend before...

(BTW, some crazy lady told me that I should leave from the hogsback if I thought it was funny to smoke cigarettes at altitude!?!? Eff you lady!)

I once forgot to take out the "do not eat" packet in my freeze dried dinner. Had about 3 bites left when I noticed it. I was solo on a winter St. Helen's climb. That night I had some crazy hallucinations

No way, really?

I always wondered what would happen if you ate the "do not eat packet" in those Mountain House meals... :toad::toad::noway:

Wife and I took some mushrooms at lunch counter on Adams in 2003. We were just coming up and then some random dudes showed up. I dont think our eyes were dialated yet, and we could just barely maintain, so they MAY not have known what was up. Anyway, one guy had a golf club with him (practice on the summit) so we knocked some appropriately sized lava rocks around for a while. Thats the only time I have ever REALLY enjoyed golf. I suspect they figured out what was up eventually and left us alone. If that was any of you guys, I thank you for opportunity to knock a few rocks around!