Favorite quote:

dirtysloper

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sobo, my sister Ruby was adopted from China last Feb.

Congrats, (big??) brother. How old is your new sister?

Haha yeah, im older. Shes almost three.

Makes her about 2 years old when she was adopted, no? Wow, that's gotta be tough on her. Our daughter was 14 months when we got her, and we all had some early bonding issues to work through. Basically, we tore her away from her orphanage and caregivers, the only people she ever knew/trusted. She's fine now, though, but those first several months were tough on everyone at the house. I don't know why the Chinese authorities delay the adoptive process for so long. It doesn't do anyone any good, least of all the kids.

My son was adopted at 5 months of age; not a lick of trouble there. We were all he ever knew. The Vietnamese have a way better system in that regard, in that you get the kid while they are still quite young. Significantly reduces attachment disorders.

Good luck Big Brother! :wave:

Back in the early 70's, some Seattle friends of mine were heading back home after several weeks climbing in Yosemite. On the way out of the Park entrance, who should they see standing by the side of the road but Warren Harding, thumbing his way to the Bay area. They picked him up and had a great time as Harding, in rare form, regaled them with legends of the Valley. Eventually they came to I-5 and had to drop him off as they turned north for Seattle.

Saying goodbye and shaking hands all around, Harding stepped out of the car, shut the door, and just as they were about to pull away, leaned his head back in the window with a wild eye and huge grin and said "And DON'T- be good!", turned away with a wave and trudged off laughing.

• 4 weeks later...

This is such a fun thread; I'm not sure which book of Long's that was, but as I remember that passage, he was talking about tourist families, kids and all, standing out in the meadow across from Camp 4 in Yosemite, gawking upwards at the wall, and then hearing, floating down from on high, the exasperated exclamation of a climber trying to communicate with his partner, "Off rappel, ASSHOLE!". Family vacation entertainment. :lmao::rolleyes::laf: