Hood snow condish...

jfs1978

Anyone up higher on the mountain today/recently for a conditions report? NWAC is suggesting moderate and low. Heard a report of a couple deep layers around 5 ft that haven't set up yet though...and it ain't gettin' supercold overnight right now. Thinkin' west side.

Would do onsight eval...per usual...but any reports welcome.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was warm today again. 40 in the parking lot at 4:30. Felt like a spring climb. FWIW I was going up to check out Leuthold, scrapped that with the high temps and nasty rime falling out of the sky everywhere. Headed up to the crater instead and watched a bunch of crap tinking and bashing its way down right after sunrise - mostly down the old chute - wide swaths of fist size chunks sweeping more often than looked fun to me. Scrapped that idea and decided to avoid what looked tempting around the crater rim too, for obvious reasons. Went down and took a couple pics of the Reid and Yocum. Looked good to me...but still wouldn't want to be anywhere near the bottom of those couloirs til she sheds some of the nastiness. Back in the parking lot around 10:45.

Couple guys headed up as I came down - and I thought I started late... Curious what they found at that late hour...

Solid sheet of ice and rime gargoyles everywhere above top of Palmer - more than usual for me. Yocum is of course covered. Wheeeee - have at it hardmen.

WageSlave, if i could get my lame-a$$ home connection to upload the pics I would have...sorry. You aren't missing much though. Cheap-ass digi-cam pics and that side of the mountain was still in shade when i was there so not much to see really. I'll upload a couple if I can get things to work though. cheers. =)

• 4 weeks later...

Dang it. Three days off this week and a partner available for either NF or Reid HW or whatever...just in time for the next batch of crap to move in.

Figures. :cry: Cragging it is. Anybody planning on heading up? I may still go if it doesn't seem to be getting too bad...but NF is probably off...

Just publicly b****ing and whining. Pardon my moment of weakness.

heh - stimulating. :) That's about right.

A few whiteouts and a bit breezy...haven't been up there in anything crazy.

I usually decide I like a cold beer and a warm fireplace too much to go up when things get nutty up there. :brew:

But hell, nothing like a planned mini-epic to keep cabin fever at bay...

i think my favorite bad-weather climb of the s side was when it was in the teens in the parking lot, winds near 50 mph at the summit, and i wore my 8000-meter-down-to-my-sasquatch-knees-mega-parka the whole day, in addition to goretex parka, fleece sweater, expedition underwear, balaclava, hat, goggles, down mitts, etc. like being inside a space-ship - very trippy!