Rainier in 1 day

Bakes

all those goombahs who make up the volunteer rescue teams would have to actually go do some climbing on the weekends and you know that would not be a pretty sight. Sorry if I've hurt anybody's feelings but I was on NW Rescue for a good while so I have some 'cred'. Most of those goombahs are challenged by climbing out of bed in the morning.

+1 :grlaf:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey Reilly! was Rainier even a National park back then?"

What's a National Park? :battlecage:

I actually was charged for a helo rescue BITD. I still have the bill: Total for 2.5 hours flight time, taxes, and gratuities= $145! Whoo-Hooo! I'll take two!

I woulda loved to see the Pine Fuzz ticket me on that solo. I hiked up with Dusan Jagersky and Jim Wickwire so I had my 'muscle' and my legal representation; I was totally covered! There was so much snow on the upper Carbon none of us roped up. After a cozy night together in a cave (no sleeping bags either you pussies!) they went on to do the FWA of the E Buttress of Willis.

I've always said the whole rescue thing would be cleared up in a heartbeat if you knew you were going to be charged like they do in Europe. Why don't we establish professional rescue teams and charge for rescues? I'll tell you.

First, the inter-agency squabbling would make the toubles in the Middle East look like a Rotary meeting.

Two, all those goombahs who make up the volunteer rescue teams would have to actually go do some climbing on the weekends and you know that would not be a pretty sight. Sorry if I've hurt anybody's feelings but I was on NW Rescue for a good while so I have some 'cred'. Most of those goombahs are challenged by climbing out of bed in the morning. :fahq:

Post of the day! You sir, are a poet. Pine Fuzz indeed!

Well at least NCNP is still pretty premium. I know, you're gonna say 'give another 10 years'. At least there is still no access through Ross Lake via motor boats and most of the approaches are endurance fests.

It was interesting a couple of years ago when I wanted to climb Triumph and the man said, 'no camping at the lakes right now.'

I thought, okay I guess in-a-day it is! See gentlemen, there are benefits of doing routes in a day. No need for overnight permits!

At least there is still no access through Ross Lake via motor boats and most of the approaches are endurance fests.

It was interesting a couple of years ago when I wanted to climb Triumph and the man said, 'no camping at the lakes right now.'

Motor boats are allowed on Ross Lake. There's a boat launch at Hozomeen accessible through Canada.

Thornton Lake camp has a camping party limit.

There are plenty of good, competent folks wearing the park service uniform. Not tools, not the man ...just people that love working in the parks. Just like whatever organization you work for ...there are some duds. But don't go painting with your broad brush.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. My opinion is based on actually having been involved in the old Park Service before the law enforcement types and uber-bureaucrats took over. I am well aware there are still many nice people working under their aegis.

Edited by Reilly

No intention of doing it solo. The one day approach works for me because unfortunately I have a job that has lots of single day off but not so many 2 day off weekends.ThanksBakesPS --> Here is what happens when you let the Pine Fuzz run the sledding hill at Paradise. I think they had 4 rangers up there with radios and snowshoes. Maybe if more people stopped paying for permits they would have to cut back a bit. My guess is they would cut the sledding hill rangers before they cut the climbing rangers.Needless to say, my kids had more fun digging holes in the snow than being micromanaged on the sled hill[img:left]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/3165712022_87e40a77d6_b.jpg[/img]

Edited by Bakes

So the guy solos Willis wall BITD while tagging along with two NW legends and then makes some lame ass comment about local park LE and S&R. Then all you guys want to do is talk about LE and S&R. You miss so much.

Dane, ease up, you're gonna make the kids cry! But I do object to "tagging along!" :noway:

Actually, I was going to apologize for the hijack attempt! I was also going to compliment Bakes on his shot. I love the frameing, the forlorn refugees dwindling into the distance, and the blown highlights really works to tell the underlying story of runaway bureaucracy. So, Bakes, did ya havta sign a liability release too? Good thing the Fuzz didn't see me ski the Kautz on my 210 K2 Holidays, Silvrettas and Peutereys with full pack. That woulda been 3-5 for sure!

Dane, I am going through all my old slides and scanning the decent ones. I'll post up the full monty so they can see how ya do the Deer in winter and get it all in a Sacs Millet day pack! Sleeping bags? There's no sleeping bags in baseball!

Older and grumpier but still bringin' it, well, at least verbally...

Reilly