520 Floating Bridge Artificial Climbing Route

srmaximo

Hey Seattle Climbers,

When I first moved to Seattle 9 years ago, I heard that there was a lead route going up one of the support pillars of the ramp going onto the 520 floating bridge (heading east toward Bellevue), accessible only by boat. I've got a canoeing date on Sunday (brr!) and was hoping to go scope it out. Anyone out there who can confirm its existence and give me directions?

Thanks,

Rob

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Seattle Times had it as the cover shot of one day's newspaper. The legend has it that a WSDOT director nearly choked on his morning coffee while reading his morning paper then promptly made a few phone calls and the route was chopped by noon.

I've never climbed the route.

Back in the day, there were two DWS climbing routes in the area you're talking about. I, personally, last climbed these in summer 2001. WashDOT and the anonymous climbers/constructors have an interseting history. This was not the only climbing-related construction project in the area. At one point in maybe 2003 (?--thinking of it, the holds were still there then) a small, maverick team installed a slackline over the water, between two support pillars. While this was a very proud accomplishment and made for a fantastic slackline, WashDOT chopped the line within 72 hours of it's creation.

the easier of those routes was my first and only dws. it was easy, 5.6 until the last move. the other route looked fairly hard, going across the underside of the road deck. i never got up the nerve to give that one a try, too afraid of taking a backsplat from 30ft.

next time just make all the holds grey and mabye they will stay up a little longer.