Sport beater rope recommendations

jesselillis

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petzl Nomad. They're 9.8 is a good deal for the money

I couldn't disagree more. Petzl has just about the most expensive ropes on the market and I wasn't very impressed with the handling of the couple petzls I've had experience with.

Petzl also had some quality control issues. I think it was the Nomad that had the sheath that disinigrated after half a day of light use?

I think RyanB's advice is good.

yeah, i'd stay away from the Petzls...it was the Petzl Zephyr with all the sheaths falling apart, but the other models are still too pricey.

if you don't have a brand preference, check spadout.com for deals on 60M ropes in the 9.5-9.9 range.

I've heard surprisingly good things about the Mad Rock ropes, and those have a pretty attractive MSRP of $120 for 9.8x60

They are STILL available for now too. :shock: This may be the best rope deal I've seen in the 36 years I've been climbing.

Thanks Ryan !!

Petzls would be my VERY next to last choice, next to last as in right before I used my momma clothsline. They have quality issues and don't appear to give a crap that their brand new ropes literally just fell apart on several folks in a couple of weeks occasional use. Screw em.

Best ropes I have ever had were Edelrid and Mammut. I had an Edelrid in particular that lasted 9 years of heavy cragging use.

Worst rope ever was a Maxim. One season and it was toast. Only rope I have ever owned that had the sheath separate from the core like a cheap shoelace.

Best ropes I have ever had were Edelrid and Mammut. I had an Edelrid in particular that lasted 9 years of heavy cragging use. Worst rope ever was a Maxim. One season and it was toast. Only rope I have ever owned that had the sheath separate from the core like a cheap shoelace.

Concur but it took me 2 Maxims to "get" that. Powderhound showed up to climb with me once, and with in a day or 2 of him making that very comment about longevity of Maxim ropes, my 2nd Maxim rope had core shotted from rubbing on a smooth rock while jugging. I'd take the Maxim before the Petzl still. All the major mfg make pretty good stuff. BTW, to the op, bigger is better for longevity. heavier though.

9 seasons eh? Remind me that when we climb together, we'll use my rope ! :lmao: