[TR] Jubilee/Waddington Knight Inlet -Various 7/18

Wastral

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yes I stole my brother's identity! This is his bro...

The real reason we needed to find land in the 4 footers is because we had a little incident... we were going along with the waves getting bigger and bigger when we were in these monster 4 foot waves capping over us. All of the sudden we hear this loud CRACK! The sound of wood being splintered into a million little tiny fragments --not what you want to hear when you are sitting in a wood fiberglass boat -- ...the immediate thoughts are "O crap, we just lost the aft end of our kayak!" followed by a quick glance at the shore and estimating how far of a swim it would be and how much should we try to save and how are we going to get up the cliff face when we get there and are we going to die of hypothermia even if we do get there...

After what seems like eternity, we finally realize that we are still floating, but something appears to be floating in the water. Turns out the water had come up under our kayak paddle that we strapped to the side of the kayak and snapped it completely in half.

We were a little bit more tense after this. On the way out we were up at 4:00 am and going so that we wouldn't get into waves like this again, thus the comment about no wind... There was wind in the afternoons.

Ah, he missed three more good pictures...

6296_6299_whitemantle_Nate_Crop_Br12p_Con15p.jpgDSC06428.JPGDSC06308.JPG

Bro again... (he needs to pick a password that's a bit harder)

Picture of the engine mount we made - it worked great...

If we had to do this over we would build it a bit different(mounts to the kayak). One of those things that the design kinda progressed from one thing to another which equals compromise... So, next time it would come out a lot cleaner, as far as mounting to the kayak. We may end up reworking it to make the whole thing cleaner if we build another kayak... and the ghetto boat moves on, but hey it sure beats the heck out of paddling all that distance not to mention the time needed and the fact that I would run out of vacation time.

DSC05524.JPGDSC05525.JPGReady_to_Go.jpg

Great trip guys. Anytime someone goes in by water its more pure and that puts you at a higher level than those of who for whatever reason heli in. You are following the path that the Mundays forged in the 1920's. While there is more information obviously available you still had to make your way up the inlet and through some pretty rough country to the peaks.

Hopefully you'll get another crack at it soon. Keep us posted!

We could have a naming contest!

Well my brother doesn't have vacation time for this year, but I do... If anyone wants to split gas money and wants to climb Jubilee or anything in the Whitemantle/Waddington range let me know. Heck, if you want a boat ride up there let me know!!! I would go back in a blink.

Anyone know what the site ratio's your posted pictures down to? I have seen larger pictures on trip reports and ours came out rather smallish. I assume this is because I shrunk them down to start with and then CC.com shrunk them again when placed in a TR for people with slower connections.

Yea, my bro "guessed" my super duper "secret" password. Its not hard. =)

Brian

Tvas. Getting back to your sailing questions.

1) I am a complete sailing novice so don't take anything I say as true. Boating is a bit different, but not much. Leeward, rearward, um ??? got me on the terms. I know bow, stern, port, and starboard, and I think I am doing well!!!

:moondance:

2) The name of the kayak "race" is the Everglades Challenge. 300 miles long. Details at http://www.watertribe.com/

I can take 2 people and all of their gear anywhere with a 120 mile radius of a car/beach landing site.

Let me know if anyone wants this. Its beautiful and a heck of a lot cheeper than a helicopter ride.

Brian