Carlos Buhler @ Everett Community College

dalius

Just an FYI: Everett Community College will be showing Carl's photography in their art gallery starting soon (definetely by Jan. 15th). Carl will be on campus Thurs, Jan. 15 giving a presentation/lecture. Not sure what the focus of the talk is going to be, but should be interesting! Here's the info from their website...

linky

------------------------------------------------------------

Russell Day Gallery presents: Carlos Buhler - The Karakoram: People and Mountains

Event description: Photographs from climbing and travels in the Karakoram including K2

Artist Presentation and Lecture:

Baker 120

January 15, 2009

6:00 PM

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Not sure what the focus of the talk is going to be, but should be interesting!

Russell Day Gallery presents: Carlos Buhler - The Karakoram: People and Mountains

Event description: Photographs from climbing and travels in the Karakoram including K2.

If Carlos stays true to his usual form, the talk/slideshow presentation will be predominantly about his experiences with the indigenous people he meets and to a lesser extent his climbing partners, and far far less about the actual rigors of the climbing. This is what makes his shows so special to me; it's his focus on the human element of his adventures.

Here is some feedback from a show he did for us last spring in Yakima. It was a wonderful event, enjoyed by all. Go get some!

Sadly Dane, I do not. If it were a Friday or Saturday night, I might be able to swing it with enough advance planning. But mid-week and having to be back at work the next morning, I just can't do it. My vacation balance is at an all-time low after T-Day, Christmas, and New Year's, and my workload is ramping up in anticipation of the stimulus package(s). This job is killing me!

If you do go, please extend my warmest greetings to Carlos.

PS: And how're you doing these days, buddy?

Word has at that the talk is going to be mostly on climbing, with a specific focus on interesting sub-6,000m peak routes.

The photo exhibit is up and running in the gallery space. A reception will follow the presentation and will be held in the gallery space.

Word has at that the talk is going to be mostly on climbing, with a specific focus on interesting sub-6,000m peak routes.

If Carlos is going to "focus on interesting sub-6,000m peaks", then you can damn well rest assured that you're going to be entertained.

Dane,

Glad to hear that you're back in your shop and doing better. Take care, man.

Here the complete low-down:

link

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Mountain Climber and Photographer Carlos Buhler Speaks Jan. 15 at EvCC

Visit the Russell Day Gallery and see Carlos Buhler's photography on display.

EVERETT, WA – Professional photographer and climber Carlos Buhler will speak about his international climbing experiences at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009 in Baker Hall 120 at Everett Community College.

Buhler’s photographs from climbing and travels in the Karakoram in Pakistan, including his ascent of K2, the world’s second highest peak, will be exhibited in EvCC’s Russell Day Gallery from Jan. 5 through Feb. 5. Gallery hours are 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday and Friday.

Buhler is one of the most accomplished mountain climbers in the world. During his 35-year career, he has climbed major peaks on five continents. His motivational lectures focus on reaching difficult goals through individual effort and teamwork.

Buhler’s presentation and exhibit are part of a series of programs about EvCC’s Book of the Year, “Three Cups of Tea,” by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. The book recounts the journey that led Mortenson from a failed attempt to climb K2 to successfully establish schools in some of the most remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

This event is sponsored by the Russell Day Gallery, the EvCC Library and supported by grant funds from Everett Community College Foundation.

The Russell Day Gallery is located in the Parks Student Union at Everett Community College, 2000 Tower St. Everett, 98201.

...Buhler’s presentation and exhibit are part of a series of programs about EvCC’s Book of the Year, “Three Cups of Tea,” by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. The book recounts the journey that led Mortenson from a failed attempt to climb K2 to successfully establish schools in some of the most remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

What can I say... Carlos is singularly the most magnanimous climber I have ever met. He rocks my world. If you're looking for a mountaineering/climbering hero, he's the ticket. And Greg Mortenson's book was an excellent read, too. Y'all should get a copy and sit down with it.