Trail Sentries?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I piss on or right beside trails all the time. The puddle dries up pretty fast. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you go tromping thru horsey country where the damn foul beasts (and I'm sure there's at least 1 horse lover out there who's going to jump on me) leave lakes of piss and shit landmines all over the trail. Climbing Beckey route on Liberty Bell last year w/ my buddy and his wife, we were about halfway up and I really had to take a leak. There wasn't much to do about it. I told her "I hope you don't mind," turned my back to her, she was about 2 or 3 feet away, and did my business. I can understand not charging right past the sentry and trying to get a peep show, but also try to get behind a bush or tree. And when it really gets down to it, if a stranger sees you partially or fully nekkid, so what, it's not like you're ever going to see them again. I risked all at Spectacle Lake yesterday taking a skinny dip during the middle of the afternoon, passed 3 tents but didn't hear or see anybody moving around. Didn't get caught as far as I know.

OK...I forgive....I guess I missed that part....I don't carry a gun either....I just want everyone out thier to think about how lucky we are that our gals join us in the backcountry...and if we need to give them a little room and a moment...it sure beats not being able to climb....this issue has been brought up a few times when I'm out with my wife...last year on a climb to Sahale Arm this guy kept on walking after I asked him to give her a minute....one second later he I were roling in the brush...his girl was crying...mine was screaming and crying...need I say more...I don't know if you have been there...but it lacks trees/ protection....so the climb was a wash and our weekend ruined.....So what I ask....take two minutes when asked? I would of prefered to exchange the peace pipe as opposed to roughing some guy up in front of his girl....who knows...one day I might need his help and all this awful shit occurs over pissing in the woods....Peace!

I'm not stopping under the original posted circumstances. You go into the wild, and have to go in the wild, you do so with the risk of being seen.

It is a whole different thing if it is around a camp site, etc., but ON the trail? I'm coming through. Semper pissing.

Stay at home.

Everybody oughta calm down here. If you're walking on the trail and some bonehead asks you to stop for some really stupid reason such the above sicheeashum, just try to think back to some time in your life when you held up a bunch of people due to your own stupidity, like stalling your car as the light turns green and not getting it started again until the next red, or taking 15 tries to get your PIN correct at the ATM, or how about fumbling for change on the bus? Everybodies done it, just let that girl take her turn too. It's usually not a big problem to have to spend 2 more minutes checking out the wilderness. Relax, check out the scenery. If you just cannot get over the indignity of some dork telling you where and when you can walk on a public trail, then berate the guy while he's stuck on guard duty. Heck, maybe you could whip it out right there and make constructive use of that downtime to shed some weight. Ask the guy to guard the trail for you.

The madder you get, the more you've lost.

Christopher, if yer girl is so shy and you're heading up to an extremely popular, treeless area maybe you ougta pack a floorless tent or something. Also, spraying about packing heat sounds like a good way to get shot.

Chuck

nolanr-

That's funny, my wife went skinny dippin' in Spectacle Lk, too (last Sept). She didn't seem to care if someone saw her, since it wouldn't be anybody she would ever see again. And if she ever has to pee on the trail (when there's no other place to go, like on switchbacks) she asks me to stand guard *only* to tell her if someone is coming (just like Drederek). The thought never even crossed our minds to make someone stop on the trail and wait. Who are we to tell someone else when they can and can't walk on the trail?

[This message has been edited by Jman (edited 07-24-2001).]