Sleeping bags...???

CollinWoods

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with any good sleeping bags… I have been looking for something around 15 degrees but one that is fairly water-resistant, compressible and light weight maybe around 3-4 pounds (or light ; ). Any recommendations would be great. Thanks everyone.

-Collin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spend to money and get a good feathered friends bag. They have many different models to fit your shape and needs. There is more to a bag than weight and price. My FF bag has lasted a LONG time and is conservatively rated. That is what you get for paying for quality. I would assume that western mtneering has good stuff too but i have never owned one.

I have to agree on the Western Mountaineering bags. I've had a lot of different brands of sleeping bags and by far the WM Ultralight is the best I've owned. It is light, conservatively rated to 20 degrees F, and very compressible. I have used it in wet conditions in the Olympics, Cascades, and Canada and not had any problems losing loft. Good luck in your choice. Feathered Friends gives you lots of options for fabric and a great reputation for quality (I've got a Rock Wren...great light summer bag!)

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY REI bags. Have a REI bag and bro has a Marmot bag. Bought 1 year apart. Both 0 degree bags. Both have been used the same amount. His is like the day he bought it. Mine has holes where the down has dissapeared. I have had to quit using it as the holes are right in the chest area!!!

If you are looking at 3-4 lb bags. You could get a synthetic bag for your needs for $120 bucks at an online outlet store, or buy "new" for $150. OF course these bags won't last as long as Down, but are very cheep in comparison.

Personally, I like sleeping under the stars and Feathered Friends offers Event as a fabric, thus you won't get wet from dew or light rain.

I used to camp with no tarp or Tent for many years and simply let the bag get wet before giving up and heading out.

Brian

I'm a huge fan of FF bags. Several days ago a spilled a pot of hot water all over my bag: didn't soak through at all.

Whatever brand you get, probably the most important criteria is to get the highest fill down you can. Aside from being warmer for the weight, it maintains it's loft longer and revives better after washing.

I had a Marmot bag years ago, so my information is dated on that brand. I hated it: clammy, poor quality down. Perhaps they've improved in the last 10 years. A friend did me a favor by borrowing and subsequently losing it. I also purchased a Marmot pack 4 years ago. Absolute piece of shit. I don't know whether it's the brand or the individual model, but I've crossed Marmot completely off my gear list.

I also purchased a Marmot pack 4 years ago. Absolute piece of shit. I don't know whether it's the brand or the individual model, but I've crossed Marmot completely off my gear list.

Off topic for this thread, but I've got a Marmot pack that I got for like, $40 on sale, and I love it. Under 3 lbs, big enough to haul a weeks worth of stuff (in the summer), and it has stood up to a few years of hard use.

I second the no REI bag thing. I had a 0 degree synth and it was super bulky and only good to about 30 degrees. Now I have a Moonstone 20 degree, which is ok for what I paid for it, but not great.

Marmot Helium is really good for the money for a mass produced 15F bag. superlight, awesome loft, compressable smaller than a loaf of bread, fat draft tube, and good hood.

They also make a less expensive, heavier, less down fill model called "Sawtooth" with same temp rating that totally sucks in comparison.

I have the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 15 deg F synth. bag. I really like it, and for under 200...hard to beat. I have spent quite a few nights in single digits in this bag and have always been more than warm enough. However like fred said, the zippers tend to get caught, this isn't a huge problem on this bag though, because it has two zippers that create a flap instead of one full length zipper. Also is lightweight and packs quite tightly.