[TR] Manatee Range - General Exploration 8/3/2008

Eli3

Trip: Manatee Range - General Exploration

Date: 8/3/2008

Trip Report:

It won't let me back date my trip report, but I went exploring up in the manatee glacer area in august and thought the beta might be useful:

I've always wanted to check out the coast range, so two friends of mine and I picked one of the 'easier' accessed areas in the hiking and climbing british columbia guide book and went for it. Amazing terrain, I'll have to head back up there this spring for some skiing. The recent weather has finally given me some time to finish the writeup!

Part 1

Part 2

Edited by Feck

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool trip report.

I have to say though, the idea of crossing a river while roped sounds pretty dangerous. If you slip off your feet, you won't be able to swim/float downstream and regain your footing. Seems like a good way to drown.

The static line seems like a good idea, but I would want to hold on to it with my hands, not be connected to it.

When fording rivers, or doing logwalks over rivers, I always unbuckle my pack so I can ditch it and swim if I get swept off my feet.

Yeah, i thought about the whole attached to the rope thing. The creek was pretty raging and deep, there would have been no way to swim in it if someone slipped - and it was only 20' or so wide - so we unbuckled the waist belts and figured if someone fell, they would get swept back to the side the rope was attached too.

This theory works well unless in the process of the swimmer being swept back to the side the rope is attached the ropes snags on something in the river...which case the swimmer is now attached to a fixed rope, attached to a point below the surface which will mean that the swimmer will then get forced below the surface. This is the nightmare scenario for raft guides fishing their clients out of a river which is why ropes are used very carefully around moving current. Having said all that, I have had to cross shit like that and you do what you need to do to sort it out. Sometimes it can never be that safe and if you want to stay safe, then don't leave the house. I probably would have just tied a small loop at the end of the rope as a hand hold, rather than tieing myself in...but hey, it worked this time.

It sounds like a great trip with great adventure - good on ya.