Avy fatality- ice climbing near Crystal

Fromage

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this on the radio when I first woke up. I instantly knew what happened. A long time ago some events occurred that make this news a poor start to the year. :cry:

I really feel sorry for the friends and relatives of the woman.

I know those waterfalls well.

Edited by Feck

I vaguely remember a fatality on the waterfall near Camp Sheppard in the 1980s. One or two young climbers were killed by falling ice as I recall. I don't remember details.

This is a very sad event. I'll be watching the news reports to learn more. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of the victim.

In the early 80s two climbers were climbing the falls above Camp Sheppard. There had been a long freeze and thus lots of ice. The two had climbed ice on the far side of the river. They new the weather was going to change for the warmer, but they thought they'd get in one more climb.

At the falls they roped up and one started to lead. 10' up a huge chunk of ice broke from above. They both were hit by huge chunks of ice. One survived with broken bones and managed to stagger down to Camp where he met campers. He was a mess and told the camp folks that his friend needed to be rescued.

Rescue personnel got to the climber at the falls but could not keep him alive.

That was at this time of year in 83/84. This latest event is very similar to the one 25 years ago.

DH,

Read here for another article:

From KOMO news:

http://www.komonews.com/news/36957019.html

Read the list of comments following this story. It's the same old tired "They should have to pay for their rescue" bullshit from the Barca-Lounger set again. When will the Great Unwashed ever get it? :rolleyes:

The last comment, from a jennjohnson167, makes reference to the deceased being a high school friend. At the risk of being insensitive, the name of the deceased is Megan (no last name given). Being as how she was a Puget Sound native and an employee at Crystal Mtn, I am sure that there are some on this board that know her, and I extend my sympathy toward you all.

My sincerest condolences to her family and friends, and that her partner is someday able to come to grips with this sad event.