LaSportiva Trango Alp Reviews?

JasonG

Just wondering if anyone has tried these. I bought a pair of the Trango S's when they first came out 7 years ago and blew through them in one season. I really, really liked them, but couldn't afford to buy a new pair every year. I've been using some Kaylands since, but they aren't as comfortable or as light, and certainly don't climb as well.

These look like they may be tough enough: http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/559

But I was wondering if anyone could speak from first hand experience . . .Thanks!

JG

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered a pair from Moosejaw last summer. I have a pair of Trango Extreme EVOs for ice, so I felt okay ordering the Alp online. I had tried on the Trango S before, but they felt too light and seemed to wear quickly for my partners.

After a long wait and seeing the model removed from Moosejaw's site, they arrived directly from LaSportiva on July 3rd. They are a bit stiffer than the S's. They fit my low-volume feet without my usual extra padding to take up space. I walked around the park and they felt good enough that I used them on a 3-day trip the next day. They climbed and hiked very well (but we bailed in the rain on the second day).

I used them for about a dozen more days in the alpine last season and they were great. They have the grippiest rubber I've seen in a boot, but the sole might wear faster because of that. They make a good platform for crampons, but they don't have a front welt for step-ins. I'd definitely buy them again.

Pro Mountain Sports in Seattle has 'em if you want to check them out.

I picked up a pair of the Alps this summer. So far I really like them. I don't have any comparison to the Evo S, because I never tried those on. (I could not stand the glaring red color)

I use them mainly as a hiker, with some scrambling, and they have been holding up fairly well for me. They are light years ahead of the boots they replaced (Garmont pinnacle) and hike very well. One thing is that they are not insulated, so my feet do get cold when it's cold out. But then again, they are designed as a summer boot, so this did not suprise me.

I got mine at Mountain Shop in Portland, and it looked like they had quite a few available. But then again, this was six month ago.