Advice please: need new AT ski gear

DPS

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my AT ski set up. When I bought my Silveretta 400s they were the only game in town, now there are many more choices. What do people like: Dynafit, Fritchi, Silveretta, Marker, Naxo?

I ski a little bit of everything; ski mountaineering, touring, groomed runs. In general I want a binding with better release capabilities and one that offers better control when skiing steeps and also is easy to change into and out of touring mode.

TIA,

Dan

Edited by danielpatricksmith

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Me: Dynafit bindings/ Garmont mega ride boots/ ????? ski????

I'm looking to go light. Will I find anything as fat and light as the Dynafit Manaslu ski? Does anyone have these and how do you like them. The Trab skis seem a little narrow for my taste...

Mostly because I had a good deal on them I bought Naxo 21s last year. I mounted them myself on BD Havocs (also got a deal) and have liked them. Overall it is a heavy set-up but I use them at resorts and day tours mostly and rarely do overnight tours anymore. However I did just use them on a week hut tip in Canada and it wasn't a big deal. I was pretty slow but why blame the skis? Very easy to get in and out and easy to switch modes and raise the elevators with a ski tip. Comfortable for touring and the main pivot point is forward making it easy to kick turn on the up tracks.

One day I'd like to get a Dynafit kit but I can't really justify the expense where I live now.

I'm on Garmont Megarides, K2 Baker Superlights, and dynafits and I love them. For all forms of uphill travel dynafit is the way to go--they are several pounds lighter than anything else. The dynafits have excellent control when skiing the steeps, and the release reasonably well. A couple of days of using them in bounds made my concerns about their release ability disappear and you can always lock out the toe in situations where you can't risk a ski coming off. The downside is the changing modes, but the slight inconvenience is made up for by the substantial weight savings.

• 2 months later...

Clarence... I finally picked up some Baker Superlights, the price was right. I put dynafits on them, what an amazingly light setup that still skied very nicely! I'm very pleased with the bindings so far, still getting the trick of them down. Need to rig up some good leashes - almost had a ski get away from me. The megarides are hurting my feet but I got them tweaked and eventually my feet will break in.

Thanks for your help/advice.