Facebook

wayne

Unfortunately for your comment, my comments came straight from the mouth of an experienced recruiter.

If you'd bothered to read instead of spraying incessantly, you would have noticed that I did not disagree with your original statement about where recruiters look -- that's approximately correct. What I did knock was your lack of understanding that Facebook can be plenty useful as a public, social medium even if people have their profiles marked private, and the fact that recruiters/HR don't go around befriending people just to view their profiles, which means one doesn't have to deny them access 'cause they never ask for it in the first place. They simply see a private profile and move on to looking at other things.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: Facebook is the first place HR goes to check out how much of an assclown the new job applicant is.

If you're too dumb to figure out how to make your profile private, then you're too dumb for the job.

A private profile on a public medium designed primarily so that people can find you. Now that's smart.

Yes, imagine that. And then only people that you accept can view your full profile. Everyone else can merely see the fact that you have one. Pretty clever, them Facebook folks...

Look dude. Ignore the basic and staggeringly intuitive aspects of profile settings, how someone can easily find you, but can't see your profile unless you give them permission if that's how you want it to work, and all of the other basic information that you picked up within 10 seconds of scrolling through the intro page before signing up.

The man spoke to a Professional Recruiter. 'Kay?! Recruiter. Professional. Yeah. That's right - a pro. What field? Recruiting. Yeah. Next time you claim that sending someone an e-mail *doesn't* automatically give them unfettered access to the contents of your in-box, how about you wait until you ask someone that's had a conversation with a Professional Recruiter first. Got it!?

All very logical, except that enough Facebook users seem so unconcerned with who their audience is that the site provides a very useful viewing window for the HR crowd. You may save your fingernail clippings in a carefully labeled mason jar, but most people are a bit sloppier about things, particularly when it comes to what they reveal about themselves on sites like Facebook. After all, a primary motivator, if not the primary motivator, for using such a service is exhibitionism.

Perhaps you might include a Facebook example in your next Econ 101 lecture, just after the case study of spherical chicken farmers weighing the utils of whether or not to allow their flock free roll.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

All very logical, except that enough Facebook users seem so unconcerned with who their audience is that the site provides a very useful viewing window for the HR crowd. You may save your fingernail clippings in a carefully labeled mason jar, but most people are a bit sloppier about things, particularly when it comes to what they reveal about themselves on sites like Facebook. After all, a primary motivator, if not the primary motivator, for using such a service is exhibitionism.

Perhaps you might include a Facebook example in your next Econ 101 lecture, just after the case study of spherical chicken farmers weighing the utils of whether or not to allow their flock free roll.

No one was denying that HR can use Facebook profiles to check out people who don't keep them private as part of the process they use to scrutinize a candidate. What was amusing was the "Hey, smart guy - how are people supposed to find you on a social networking site if your profile is set to *private* - HUH!?" bit, especially when offered up with no small dose of hauteur and condescension, all backed up with an appeal to authority (of sorts). "Pfft. I was speaking to a sous-chef about recombinant DNA and he said that..."

Or - put another way:

"If you'd bothered to read instead of spraying incessantly, you would have noticed that I did not disagree with your original statement about where recruiters look -- that's approximately correct. What I did knock was your lack of understanding that Facebook can be plenty useful as a public, social medium even if people have their profiles marked private, and the fact that recruiters/HR don't go around befriending people just to view their profiles, which means one doesn't have to deny them access 'cause they never ask for it in the first place. They simply see a private profile and move on to looking at other things."

Anyhow, I'm very disappointed in the tone and length of the preliminary response, but I'm confident that if I stick with it, I'll get my bi-weekly, profanity infused helping of blovistility one way or another.

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=239

Facebook Partners With eBay to Auction User’s Dignity

CEO says the ‘revolution’ in e-commerce will capitalize on members’ desire to look stupid in public from the comfort of their own homes

NEW YORK, DEC 15,2007 - Facebook announced today that it has struck a new deal with eBay to begin to convert the dignity of its 65 million users into profit.

Under the new agreement, Facebook users will receive a “news feed” story whenever one of their friends writes something stupid in their “status update,” chooses to “throw a sheep” at someone for no reason, or posts a picture of themselves acting like an idiot.

Users will then have a chance to bid on the lost dignity on eBay and claim it as their own, until such time as they lose it again by adding the “Which Spice Girl Are You?” application or by sending someone a gnome for their “My Garden” or inviting their friends to “Spank Me.”

Facebook’s 23- year-old CEO Mark Zuckerberg called the move “the next step in the evolution of e-commerce.”

In keeping with Facebook’s commitment to member privacy, advanced controls will provide users with the opportunity to decide whether or not they want to auction specific humiliating actions by choosing to “Opt in” or “Don’t opt out.”

The agreement follows a similar program by MySpace, where users can now pay people to stop inflicting on others their poor taste in music.

The trend, called behavioral targeting or "hyperabasement," leverages the way social networks work in a new and potentially revolutionary way.

“This highly targeted system isn’t just about making money on the web,” Zuckerberg said, “but about the deep-seated desire inside every one of us to make ourselves look ridiculous in public.”

“Now you can squander your self-esteem in public from the privacy of your own home,” he added. “And we should all feel good about the fact that someone is finally profiting from what all these people have been giving away for free.”