Facebook

wayne

Wondering how many of you use it. It seems to be exploding. Is it a value to you or a waste of good intertubes?

I could not find the "Poll "feature.

It seems to be replacing what this site did for people.

I get a kick out of introducing people to it and watching them get way into it( See Radek)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got sucked into it a couple months ago and am pretty amazed at all the long losters I am catching up with. It can be a time drain, just like this site only more people to keep up with. Overall, I really like being back in touch with so many old friends.

Side note, I work from home a lot and should be working now but am getting distracted here on cc.com, again. I have not even looked at FB today but it will likely eat up some of my productivity soon.

Good for staying in touch with friends and catching up with old ones. The mode of interaction there is fundamentally different than you get on a typical message board or blog in that - from what I've seen at least - most communication occurs in a closed format, amongst people who know one another and share a friendship or something close to it.

As kind of an aside, one of the ideas that I had for this site was the addition of invitation-only sub-forums that people could create and control admission to "Madrone Wall Access Forum" or "Secret Crag Bolting Forums" that would facilitate communication amongst interested parties without the said parties having to contend with bomb-throwing jackasses and other distractions. Aptly enough - I proposed this in the moderator only forum - but the idea never made it out of that setting.

I'm still partial to the idea.

Good for staying in touch with friends and catching up with old ones. The mode of interaction there is fundamentally different than you get on a typical message board or blog in that - from what I've seen at least - most communication occurs in a closed format, amongst people who know one another and share a friendship or something close to it.

As kind of an aside, one of the ideas that I had for this site was the addition of invitation-only sub-forums that people could create and control admission to "Madrone Wall Access Forum" or "Secret Crag Bolting Forums" that would facilitate communication amongst interested parties without the said parties having to contend with bomb-throwing jackasses and other distractions. Aptly enough - I proposed this in the moderator only forum - but the idea never made it out of that setting.

I'm still partial to the idea.

Seems like the exclusivity/dilution thing is a function of the size of the user base, but there's no doubt that what you are saying is true.

As far as invite only forums are concerned, I don't think that the death of the "I Never Gave Up on the Swami Belt" sub-forum after it has run its course and/or succumbed to discord and disarray after the "Leg Loops, or No" debate got *way* out of control is necessarily going to reduce the vitality of the larger site that's hosting it. That is, as long as long as there's a mechanism for groups of like minded people to create the "I Only Climb in Prana", "I Hate Cams," and other new sub-forums as long as the interest is there to create/sustain them.

On this site in particular, it seems like having this option might have made life a bit easier for people who were trying to use the site to have a constructive dialogue about a sensitive issue with other folks who want to help, have something at stake, etc, and would have been beneficial even if the conversation eventually ran its course and died. Might be useful for folks organizing a big trip or event, etc, in addition to giving the sub-groups a home.

JayB = there is prett much that option here. The system that replaced PMs is a Private Forum system. I think the only real problem is you have to invite everyone from the start... you can't add.

And FB is a PITA waste of time IMO. Email and flickr do everything better, and with much simpler interfaces. Not to mention, GASP! the telephone!

Yeah - just seems like it'd be tough for new member/passerby who never gave up on the swami belt to know that there was a subgroup of kindred spirits that he could join without some kind of fixed public header/link to the group.

Seems like the usual model is some kind of a list of sub-groups, a clickable link that takes you to a page where you the folks that put the group together can post their invite/overview, etc, and a deal where you can ask to join the group if no one has invited you.

Not a huge deal though, just an idea. The new route-wiki thing looks like a much more significant enhancement than the private forum thing, so if that gets off the ground that'll satisfy my site enhancement cravings for quite a while. Seems like something like that has been batted around for years, so I'm psyched that it looks like it's on the table.

Yeah - just seems like it'd be tough for new member/passerby who never gave up on the swami belt to know that there was a subgroup of kindred spirits that he could join without some kind of fixed public header/link to the group.

Google doesn't archive private fora so the likelihood of a passerby/newbie discovering it is nil. I understand the idea and reason for it but as snoboy suggested, the current PM/PF system is rather versatile

as an admitted forum whore my observations are the signal/noise ration seems to be a constant for active fora and the noise just takes different forms STFU NOOB vs. 5 page grammatically correct diatribe about water fluoridation. If you are browsing for an answer both are worthless.

The other observation is that with the exception of computer forums the people out doing things rarely post so forums are mostly populated by no-nothing asshats with really fucking high post counts who like to talk in absolutes and make laws

I must admit, I just don't get it. That whole "face book" "my space" thing escapes me. Please remind me again, why exactly do I want to "netcast" my life to the entire world or "stay in touch with my circle" etc.. Shit Ive spent most of my life trying to escape "my circle" and "networking" in general is soooo 90's. Sry but the whole thing seems rather "girly girl" to me. ;)

the ghey thing about FB is those homo loser snitches that watch what you put up on FB and look to see what parties you were at... who you hang out with and so on and then rat you out (only really applies to people my own age)

Just wait til you are 21 and hit the bars,who needs FB!

Until you've had sex in a crowded bar,you haven't lived!

BTW the womems bathroom dosen't count!

I like it so I can stay in touch with people outside of just the CC com area. Also it has been great to get in touch with old friends and relatives that I have lost touch with.

As for it replacing CC com, there is no way. First I sure how I would go about find trip report on FB and especially the one from the Cascades. Also FB is too G rated to have any real good spray.

So the verdict, I like em both for differenet reasons.

CC.COM is just one of the TR sites i belong to,but it's got Spray and i'm a sick MF! Yahoo has lots of TRs and some are linked to CC.Com,my High School has their own web site,but we were all asshole back then and things haven't change much in 32yrs.

My High School had 4,500 assholes in it,but if i came from a small town it might be different and i do stay in touch with some of them though my brother who lives in the Kent area!

There are less then 300 people on the earth with my last name,and i'm the only one with the frist name being Norm so its easy to email me at "Yahoo"!

Hell i've been PC 313 since 86 on Side band,AM radio and have talked all over the world when the skip is in!