Moof

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Strykers and Maximus shoes in.

Sizing:

Strykers were spot on for my usual street shoe size, handling a thickish sock just fine, as their first outing was aiding in near freezing weather.

Maximus are sized about right, but sized about like my climbing shoes. If I had it to do over again I'd spring for the split sizing, as my left foot is longer than my right, but I cheaped out. I'm hoping for just a smidge of stretch, then I'll be set. Even though they claim zero stretch, when they did demos at the gym once I noted their 10 fit me looser/better than the 10.5, to which the demo dude fessed up to having used that particular pair for a full days climbing. We'll see.

The maximus to me is more confusing now that I have it in hand. It is overly stiff and such to be a great free climbing shoe (unless your old with bad feet), but the toebox and such is just too climbing shoe to be an all day aiding shoe. Sort of a great looking shoe that makes no sense.

Both shoes lack for arch support, and my arches are only moderately high. I fixed the strykers with a home made foam insert, but haven't dorked with the maximus yet.

The Strykers I bought have become my fav approach shoe. They seem to be wearing OK, I do some jugging and cleaning of routes so they get wall type of wear. Still fairly new though. The sizing was spot on my shoe size 8-1/2.

By way of a heads up, the Maximus got a shit review for wall useage here: http://www.supertopo.com

That's what a shoe review should be too.

I love that shoe review, definately the detail and right thinking I wish most gear review had. For $69 I'm still glad I got a pair, but I'm very glad I didn't pay full price.

Black gear annoys me, and I love the paint primer solution for the wall shoes! Having sewn a bunch I understand the choice. Shit sewing and lousy cutting/piecing looks fan-fucking-tastic in black with black thread, and atrocious in more telling colors. But black clothing and gear is stupid more times than not. My metolius pack melts my snickers becuase of the black lid, and my granite gear backpack makes the water in my drink sack warm if I don't wrap it with spare clothes (yuck!). Stupid. Damn pretty looking gear though... For safety gear I am a strong believer in contrasting thread to make abrasion to sewing easier to detect. But who am I...

High tops are something I've learned to grab a pair of whenever I can. My old green Alita's eventually died of resoles and overuse. Now I have a pair of Kaukulators on their last legs, a pair of comfy sized new Altias, and the Maximus. For thrashing up your favorite chimney or easy widefest with zero technique I just love the feel of proper ankle armor. Still got to get a pair of JB's when I'm flush again.

Edited by Moof

Hi tops rule for off widths. The only solution otherwise is athletic tape or just bleed out afterwards:-)

I was in line for a pair of JB's, just drooling to get my hands on them. I think our local buddies at the gear store Climbmax, can special order them. They had the Acopa Aztecs on hand in stock I think it was, so I immediately grabbed a pair. I have to say, for me (this is not something others think is true) they are very slick when it's wet or even slightly damp. More than other rubber for sure. Around here, that's most of the time. Very discouraging to me. Never got the JBs.

Your results may vary.