Jacket repair Ques.

Ben_Otten

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I patched a 2" x 2" "L" shaped tear in my puffy with seam grip and nylon I matched at the local fabric store. Cut two patches of the identical shape and size to cover the tear; coated one side of one patch with seem grip and stuck it on the back side (inside), then sandwiched the tear on the outside with the second patch. Did that 5 years ago and it's still holding with no signs of failure.

If you do end up using a glue-on patch, try to make it as close to round as possible, with no sharp edges or corners. It will stay on a lot longer that way.

Sail repair tape from West Marine is a lot less expensive than K-Tape (on a unit-length basis) if you're thinking of going that route. Plus, it's a lighter weave and will probably work better for patching a hole in a puffy or similar fabric. A thick layer of Seam-grip covered with a piece of sail repair tape should yield a good no-sewing required permanent patch.

Just coat the entire bottom surface of the patch and the entire area on the jacket that will be under the patch. I placed wax paper over the patch and sandwiched it between to 25lb. weights for 24 hours. You can probably skip the patch backing and get good results.

Yeah, however your full method makes sense...no chances it will fail. I like that. I'll just use a pencil eraser to push the down back and insert the nylon disk with seam seal. Then attach the top patch and apply pressure on both for the day. I should be good to go then. Thanks Mikester for the insight...these jackets are not cheap...nothing wrong with a few battle scars right? He hehe..

Thanks for the help everyone!

It sounds obvious, but make sure there are feathers behind it when you apply pressure or you'll seal the backing to the other side of you jacket. Better to stick a few feathers to it...

Merry Christmas!!!

Up kinda late Ben... lookin for Santa? ;)

Edited by Mikester